The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Customized Schemes For Documenting Workflows

I am in the process of thoroughly documenting my workflows should someone else need to run them. However, I find a lot of my time is having to adjust font style, font size, colors, comments, etc. for each of the items I'm notating. It would be far easier to have the ability to set up a custom scheme that I could apply overall to the workflow that would change all of those attributes to my workplace standards. Sort of like how you can define a style in Microsoft Word to use repeatedly, this scheme would include comment boxes, tool containers and any other means of notating the workflow.

5 Comments
tsilva4
8 - Asteroid

Hi Kara, I am also in the process of thoroughly documenting my workflows. We have a team of designers that reuse each others workflows and we continually have issues determining which output from which workflow should be used as the input to another workflow. We are looking for a workflow tracking methodology to help make it easier to share each others work. This issue also extends into our workflows that feed our Tableau dashboards. Before I reinvent the wheel, I'm just checking to see if you were able to find or devise a solution for this problem. Any advice or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

kara_mills
7 - Meteor

Hi @tsilva4!

Nothing created at the Alteryx level that can be pushed to an entire workflow unfortunately. In the interim, here are some steps I've taken to start creating a consistent look for our workflows.

• Create a template workflow that is basically the foundation of any workflow. User opens that, saves as new name, and begins development.
  • Template has set color legend and area for documenting any instructions for the user. In our case it might be why certain files are used, processes to completed before/after running the workflow, etc.
  • User utilizes the annotation feature to document the tools and containers are used to document parts of the process - makes it easier to find chunks of work in larger workflows.

I'm now working toward a new schema based on business changes so I am certainly feeling the need for a blanket changing possibility again! It's a lot of work but it does make it SO much easier when transitioning to new people. Which is where the brunt of our pain points have been. Best of luck and let me know if you come across any other best practices!

tsilva4
8 - Asteroid

Awesome! Thanks for the prompt response Kara. We'll review your suggestions and I'll share any new ideas with you as we work to solve this challenge.

RPS
7 - Meteor

Hi @kara_mills @tsilva4,

I am late to this thread but here is my 2 cents worth.  Documentation is an integral part of my workflows and I try to keep it simple:

• I add a notes container up top describing the aim of the workflow (see screen grab below)
  • I rename the tools appropriately and sometimes make it very clear what the tool result is [for ex. for a filter tool I may add something along the lines of "T=Distinct Records"
  • A select tool follows every input tool where the input fields are labeled (prefixed) with the input/origin name so it is easily identifiable downflow
  • I box the tools as much as possible. Sometimes there is a process overlap, i.e., hard to differentiate where along the flow the data prep stops and the logic starts but I try to containerise them much as possible with appropriate container headings
  • I use a standard color palette (as far as possible) to differentiate 'inputs', 'process' and 'outputs' sections of the workflows
  • I maintain a separate process document (in Word) that covers all aspects of the workflow with links to all workflows, inputs & outputs
  • Lastly, (this is something that I have only just started doing) I define a nomenclature for file names - all workflows/inputs/outputs follow the same nomenclature.  This takes a lot of thinking and some getting used to, but helps in the long run I feel.

Capture.PNG

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes