The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Create point and give it a name in one step

When you use Create Points tool - you then almost always need to use a Select tool to rename that point.

Can we please add a single text field to the Create Points tool - which would then allow us to create and name a point in one step?

Annotation 2020-07-04 103732.png

7 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would expand this that a lot of the spatial fields could benefit from allowing the user to rename the output fields.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

+1 for fewer needless Select tools!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi All! 

Thank you for your feedback! I've added an extra label to this idea to insure all the correct product teams see it. For anyone interested in this idea be sure to check out the Category Spatial label for other spatial based ideas as well as our Submission Guidelines which go over the idea boards in a bit greater detail.

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Agreed Sean this is a pretty standard pattern of tools. Especially when modelling or start and end points to keep track of the spatial objects I often find myself renaming, origin and destination. Etc.

This would be a great addition, even if its optional. 

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@SeanAdams agree this is a good improvement, but worth also thinking of the Spatial function option too which allows column creation in formula tool

ST_CreatePoint([Lat],[Long])
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Not Planned

Hi All!

Our product team has reviewed this idea, and unfortunately we cannot place this update to the Create Point tool on the near term roadmap. However, we do have plans to revisit our holistic Geo experience in the future and this idea will be revisited for review once we reach that point in time.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

The same idea as this one here with 10 likes from July 2017: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Name-the-output-field-of-the-Create-Points-T...

@CristonS - Maybe worth combining?