community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!

Create a blank or anchor tool to keep connector lines in a specific location

Often times I want to keep connector lines in a certain location or not have them branch out at a specific location at the canvas - it would be great to have a tool that did nothing, but could be used as an anchor point to keep the connector lines at a specific location.  

Right now I use a Select tool for this, since as long as you don't change anything, it just passes data through.  The problem is that if you have a problem like a missing field, you have to look at all of the select tools to see if anything was changed in it. 

Having a tool that did absolutely nothing would be great to organize connectors without having to check on their settings in case of problems.

4 Comments
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Maybe try a count records tool instead of Select?

Alteryx Certified Partner

Unfortunately, the count records tool only outputs the record count.  It doesn't pass the data through.

ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

OK, a couple of other ideas are to add a filter for only non-null values in a field that would never have nulls or a sort tool on any field.

I'm a little rusty and am not in front of Alteryx at the moment, but a message tool might work too. 

Alteryx Certified Partner

I just found that this idea has already been posted.  If you're interested in this, please see this thread and give the post a star.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Documentation-Idea-Anchors-for-Lines/idi-p/9...