The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Copy a tool using CTRL + click + drag

I'd like to hold CTRL, click on a tool and drag it to somewhere else on the canvas to copy it. 

This is functionality common in other software (e.g. Tableau, MS Office). 

Currently I have to either:

right click > Copy, right click > Paste, or

Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. 

4 Comments
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

This is a habit for PowerPoint power users and it will be wise to have that in Alteryx Designer canvas as well...

+1

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Would you expect Ctrl + click + drag to have the same result as right click > Copy, right click > Paste, or Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V or would it be a slightly different result?

SamDrury
7 - Meteor

The result is very similar to right click copy, right click paste but can be done in a single click and motion - clicking and dragging means you can place it where you like in a single motion, unlike Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V which simply places it nearby, and unlike right click copy, right click paste because it can be done in a single click and motion and place it exactly where you want it.

You can try it for yourself in powerpoint, word, excel, tableau, photoshop, or pretty much any software with a "page" or "canvas" (which is why I think it should be in Alteryx, and sometimes find myself trying to do it). Insert an object (e.g. image). Hold ctrl, click on it, and drag it. A little "+" sign will show indicating that you are copying. Then drag to where you would like it and release it. It seems insignificant but I think it's a small and easy useability change that would make it quicker to copy and paste.

I've found this article which has a video to demonstrate the concept visually.

I hope that makes sense but please let me know if you have any questions.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Thank you for taking the time to clarify. We'll keep this in mind for future design, but we don't have it on the road map for the near term.