Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Copy Tool with Current Settings

Hi Alteryx Designer Dev Team,

There are times where you want to create a variation of a particular pipeline and the data transformations in the beginning of the pipeline are similar but need slightly different configurations. To save time, can we have a right-click context option for each tool to be able to copy/paste or duplicate tool with existing configuration. This saves time by only having to change a few options in the duplicated tool. This is common for tools like, input, output, joins, groupings and reporting tools. An example where this functionality is handy in reporting: you may have a particular way that you always do your charts and instead of configuring the chart options from scratch each time, you copy paste the chart tool with current configuration and then you only have to make minor changes such as the data connections. 

Thank you

5 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Gopinaath Great idea. I think you're idea is a more general version of my idea here.

Gopinaath
8 - Asteroid

Yes I didn't see your post come up in my search (copy tool with settings) before posting my idea. However your idea is a bit too specific and I would like this implemented in a very simple general way. In the process, I hope it ticks off your request @patrick_digan.

I hope it is not too complicated for the devs to just do a copy tool with configuration in the right click context menu for right clicking on a tool. This could be only for native Alteryx tools as it may be complicated to extend to user defined macros on the tool palett

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

I think it would be great if we can copy and paste format of the actual tool configuration.

If I have an input tool configured a certain way, I'd love to just be able to apply the configuration to  a second input tool.

J

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

We’re currently working diligently to insure all product ideas are reviewed and commented on by Alteryx when the necessary criteria are met. If you haven’t yet, check out our Submission Guidelines which go over the idea boards in a bit greater detail.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes