Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Converting Data Types w/ Select In-DB

When converting data types while In-DB, it would be really helpful if I could change the data type with the "Select In-DB" tool in a similar manner to the "Select" tool. Currently, we are having to use the "Formula In-DB" tool in order to create a "Cast" Statement.

5 Comments
Falreign
6 - Meteoroid

I agree, it is a bit frustrating - especially since "Select In-DB" says it can change data types in the description and help guide.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks, all, for the Idea and feedback.

Due to how In-DB works vs how our standard tools work, this is not a straightforward implementation. Though we'll keep it in mind for a release in the future, there are some things we need to put into place before this feature is a possibility.

Best,

Alex

Costco_Edward
7 - Meteor

Although the implementation isn't as straight forward, it would make the tool much more usable for big companies such as Costco who utilize In-DB for most of our workflows.  The more tools that can be utilized in the In-DB, the easier it will be to engage our user community.  Having so few In-DB Tool options really limits Alteryx use to our novice users.  Thanks for your time and consideration.

aweiss2k
7 - Meteor

Agree 100% - I understand that would mean having to code the In-DB tool to recognize the type of DB (SQL, Hadoop HiveQL, etc.) and then have the associated DB-specific code work in the background but this would make the Select too SO MUCH MORE USEFUL.  For large orgs like mine, almost every workflow has at least some In-DB component, and not having this flexibility with the In-DB Select tool is very frustrating and limiting.

Many-to-Many_Worker
6 - Meteoroid

Just having something which display what data type is for each field is helpful