The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Converting Data Types w/ Select In-DB

When converting data types while In-DB, it would be really helpful if I could change the data type with the "Select In-DB" tool in a similar manner to the "Select" tool. Currently, we are having to use the "Formula In-DB" tool in order to create a "Cast" Statement.

5 Comments
Falreign
6 - Meteoroid

I agree, it is a bit frustrating - especially since "Select In-DB" says it can change data types in the description and help guide.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks, all, for the Idea and feedback.

Due to how In-DB works vs how our standard tools work, this is not a straightforward implementation. Though we'll keep it in mind for a release in the future, there are some things we need to put into place before this feature is a possibility.

Best,

Alex

Costco_Edward
7 - Meteor

Although the implementation isn't as straight forward, it would make the tool much more usable for big companies such as Costco who utilize In-DB for most of our workflows.  The more tools that can be utilized in the In-DB, the easier it will be to engage our user community.  Having so few In-DB Tool options really limits Alteryx use to our novice users.  Thanks for your time and consideration.

aweiss2k
7 - Meteor

Agree 100% - I understand that would mean having to code the In-DB tool to recognize the type of DB (SQL, Hadoop HiveQL, etc.) and then have the associated DB-specific code work in the background but this would make the Select too SO MUCH MORE USEFUL.  For large orgs like mine, almost every workflow has at least some In-DB component, and not having this flexibility with the In-DB Select tool is very frustrating and limiting.

Many-to-Many_Worker
6 - Meteoroid

Just having something which display what data type is for each field is helpful