Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Convert string to number (with comma) via select tool

i thought i was an old issue,  but i search few time and can not find any.

can we direct convert string to number without remove ","?

1,000.00 from string  convert directly to 1,000.00 number.

it is annoying to add a formula tool to remove the ","

4 Comments
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @Pang_Hee_Choy thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, numeric types cannot contain string characters. If you want to physically see the comma separator in the results grid for the numeric field, you can use the ToNumber() function with the new toggle, but it won't actually have the comma separator in the data field itself.

We'll be sure to pass this along to our product management team as soon as the necessary criteria are met.

CristonS_0-1635431921515.png

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

Pang_Hee_Choy_0-1635470257229.png

@CristonS

if possible i happy to use select tool, because it is the purpose of select tool. and it easier when i have many field

it should be a quick fix item. either built in the formula in the select tool to exclude any "," when any number conversion.

Matthew
11 - Bolide

i just ran into this issue today. i needed to use a formula tool with the "tonumber()" function before the select tool because alteryx wouldn't recognise the number field if the commas were there.. the select tool should be able to recognise a number that contains comma separators

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes