Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Convert exponential values to Numeric

While reading data from Excel source many times in case of very large/very small numbers it get's converted into exponential format. Currently we do not have anything in Alteryx to handle exponential numbers and convert them into numbers. "Exponential Notation. Exponential notation lets you move the decimal point in a number. It simplifies numbers by getting rid of zeros, and making math easier. Getting rid of zeros helps with big 100,000,000 and small 0.000,000,001 numbers. The Scientific format displays a number in exponential notation, replacing part of the number with E+n, where E (which stands for Exponent) multiplies the preceding number by 10 to the nth power. For example, a 2-decimal Scientific format displays 12345678901 as 1.23E+10, which is 1.23 times 10 to the 10th power."

3 Comments
danielkresina
9 - Comet
In my experience this only happens when reading data form the old .xls format files. If you're using the new .xlsx format then Alteryx bypasses the old JET driver and reads directly from the XML contents of the file and brings in the actual numbers not the scientific notated version that the Excel driver defaults to.
ak2018
8 - Asteroid

Nope. I have an xlsx file that it still does this to it. If I use Double data type, it will truncate stuff but if I do a FixedDecimal, it gives me warnings about the exponential values as not a numeric type. So annoying.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes