Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Convert Control Parameter to Text Box Option

Create a right-click option on "Control Parameter" tools to easily convert it to a "Text Box".  And to convert "Text Box" (other interface tools, too) to a "Control Parameter".

During development it is easy to test Alteryx Apps with Text Box interface tools to launch into Debug Mode with specific values.  However if you are developing a Macro this is difficult since you cannot specify values in the Macro workflow.  If it was easy to convert between the two tool types (Control Parameter and Text Box) this would make Macro development easier.

Today, as a work-around, I will:

1. Drop in Text Box tools
  2. Copy the label text from the Control Parameter tool into the question text of the Text Box
  3. Delete the Control Parameter
  4. Connect the Text Box to the Action the Control Parameter was connected to
  5. Finally I can test with desired input

Then when I'm ready to change the workflow back into a Macro I have to do the reverse.

The only configuration possible in a Control Parameter is the label text which could be copied into the Text Box's question text.

There is already tools that can convert between each other (Input and Output tools). I think this would be very beneficial.

Workflow with Control Parameters-- cannot populate values and run in Debug:

tmkwil_0-1600790828765.png

Workflow with Text Boxes-- can populate values and run in Debug:

tmkwil_1-1600790902990.png

The menu could looks something like:

tmkwil_2-1600791164326.png

2 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback!

This is an interesting idea and we appreciate the feedback on our interface tools. I f you haven't yet please be sure to check out our Submission Guidelines as they go over the process behind our boards in a bit greater detail.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes