The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Conditional Split Tool

There's often a need to do a cascade of filters which would normally be handled in a programming language by a Case or a Switch statement.

For example:

- if it's a cat then go left, otherwise go right 

- if it's a dog then go left otherwise carry on right

if it's a fish then go left otherwise carry on right

otherwise do xxxx

This could be handled more elegantly by a conditional split tool that allowed you to specify multiple conditions like a case statement, and which then generated multiple output nodes; with the last one for any leftovers.

4 Comments
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Hollingsworth ;

I think the difference between this idea and Mark's programmatic Detour is that this is more like a filter but it allows multiple different outbound legs (not just true/ false but rather like a filter tool that could have a red/green/blue output - like a case statement / switch statement).

Do you have situations like this where you are trying to split out 4 groups in a population:

- Red

- Green

- Blue

- Everything else

... and end up doing this by a waterfall of filter tools?    That would be the case for this tool.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thanks for the clarification

I do have that use case all the time. I just figured that it would be impossible for a tool to have a dynamic number of output nodes, so it didn't occur to me.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes