Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Change the default field length for a Text File Input from 254

The default (option 7 below) often causes problems with imports and is difficult for new users to find and I see no reason for the option to be so low. Can it be set higher to aid parsing of larger text fields e.g. parsing HTML files as text.

2017-09-18_09-52-19.jpg

6 Comments
chris_love
12 - Quasar

An alternative would be to add a warning that the data was truncated at the input stage.

TimO
7 - Meteor

I agree that a warning is needed that says the data was truncated in the input tool and to reset the field length..

BlakeFox
7 - Meteor

@chris_love Where are you getting this Options window you've copied above? I'm trying work around this field character limit issue and do not see a Field length section in the configuration window. Same question for a simple text input tool, the character limit causes truncated data issue

configuration tool2018-11-14_13-06-43.jpg

monish_chandra
8 - Asteroid

@BlakeFox I believe you'll see a Field Length when you import it as csv. 

32bit
8 - Asteroid

This issue also affects the Crew Runner macro causing it to truncate the log entries at 254 characters. This post isn't a bug submission for that, but just to highlight how widespread the problem posted by the OP is and still ongoing years later. Maybe Alteryx can step up and fix a problem without putting it up to a "vote"? My hopes aren't up.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes