Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Case Sensitive/Insensitive Joins

I've come to realize that the JOIN tool is case-sensitive by design but it would be helpful if you could turn that behavior on/off (via checkbox?) within the JOIN tool.  For those of us that work predominantly in database environments that are not case-sensitive, this default behavior has caused me problems many times.  Having to force the case to either upper or lower upstream of the JOIN on both flows in order to ensure a successful join is an extra step that would not be necessary if you could disable case-sensitive with a checkbox.

13 Comments
hnntran
5 - Atom

Please include the feature into UNIQUE tool also. Otherwise, I have to create another temp column by lowering the whole column, then re-run the UNIQUE.

nextelspe
7 - Meteor

+1 for these requests. I had to use an upper case formula just so my joins would work.  A simple check box to "ignore case" would be great.

paddykav
7 - Meteor

+ for this request

I'm trying to do a join an email address

example of a made up name that I'm trying to join:

Annmarie.O'Connor@Alteryx.com

AnnMarie.O'Connor@alteryx.com

AnnMarie.O'Connor@ALTERYX.COM

Annmarie.o'connor@Alteryx.com

There are many different scenarios that I must create so as to have a successful join

Thank you!

Paddy

BMB13
6 - Meteoroid

+1 

I often have numerous case differences from 8-10 different data sources. Would be great if I didn't have to cleanse the data for each one prior to joining. Just wanted to add, that this functionality should be included in the Join Multiple tool as well.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!

Joseph_Ludlow
5 - Atom

Open this up! Case insensitive joins are a great idea and very helpful, instead of having to have several entries with different case combinations... yikes!

paddykav
7 - Meteor

Still looking forward to seeing this feature soon please 🙂

You might be able to convert your data at all inputs in new columns and join with the new columns. Then delete these later in the flow if you need to just keep the original of some sources BUT ideally, these are steps that could be removed with a simple box tick at the join. Go on! 🙂 🙂make it simple for us please 🙂🙂

Joseph_Ludlow
5 - Atom

It would be nice, I figured out another workaround in the meantime, in Data Cleansing Tool you can modify case, so I just match the cases of the data sets I am joining and that has been the easiest for me.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: New Idea

This idea is being returned to the New Idea status, as it has reached the required number of likes to be brought to our product teams attention. Please note it may take time for our product team to provide a response. However, we will do our best to insure this idea is updated accordingly.

Thank you for posting and contributing to the product idea boards!