cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Got ideas to improve Alteryx Designer? Collaborate with peers & shape the future!

Carriage Return (aka New Line or Line Break) being ignored in Report Table Tool

I know this has been posted before, but the posts are fairly old, and I have just confirmed with Support that it is still an issue.  Seems to be a pretty basic request, so I'm putting it out there again under this new heading.

The issue is that if you have data in a field, and you have that data separated by a new line (\n), it will show up fine in a browse tool, or pretty much any other output (database file, Office Document file, etc.). But if you try to use the Table Tool under Reporting, it ignores the line break and strings the data together.

Example:

The field data looks like this in a browse or most other outputs:

Hello, my name is 

Michael Barone

and I love

Alteryx

But when I try to pull this field into a Table Tool, it shows up like this:
Hello, my name is Michael Barone and I love Alteyrx

Putting this out here again in hopes that it gets lots and lots of stars so it gets put on the road map!!

5 Comments
Status changed to: New Idea

Hi @mbarone,

I've moved your post over to the ideas section for greater visibility.

Thanks,

Quasar
Quasar

Thanks Jessica!

Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for raising this, I can certainly see how that is frustrating! We do have plans to refresh the Table tool in the future and we’ll be sure to keep this issue in mind as we’re planning out those improvements.

Quasar
Quasar

Awesome, thanks Polly!

Atom
I'm bumping into this shortcoming right now, and it is indeed frustrating. Support for line feeds in table cells is near the top of my wish list.