Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Can you LOSE THE INTRO WINDOW when opening Alteryx?

I asked this before.  WHY DO WE HAVE TO HAVE A POP UP WINDOW OPEN UP EVERY TIME WE RUN ALTERYX?!  I asked this before, and the comment was made, "there is a check box to turn it off in the settings."  Yes, that is true, there is a checkbox!  And guess what, to my surprise (insert sarcasm here), IT DOESNT WORK!  THE MOST BASIC, EASIEST THING YOU CANT GET RIGHT, and that is EXTREMELY ANNOYING.

Just LOST THE INTRO WINDOW.  WE ALL KNOW ITS ALTERYX WHEN WE OPEN IT, DO YOU NEED THAT MUCH MORE ADULATION THAT I HAVE TO CLOSE A WINDOW THAT REMINDS ME THAT I AM USING ALTERYX?!?!  
Maybe I should send an email to alteryx to remind them I am using their product, will you feel even more important then?  Pardon that slam here in my nastygram, but this is JUST AMATEUR!

A multi billion dollar company, and youre wasting effort with this.  GEEZUZ

12 Comments
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Inactive User,

I am sorry for your frustration. If you are speaking of the splash screen that indicates Designer is opening, you can select the splash screen and it will go away and Alteryx will still open. The options in the User Settings is for displaying the help information upon opening Designer itself and not turning off the splash screen.

Regards,

DanM

Inactive User
Not applicable

I get it closes up clicking it.  I DONT WANT TO CLICK IT.  I want it to just GO AWAY.  WHY DO WE NEED THAT?  What is the benefit to the end user?  Give me ONE GOOD RATIONALE, and I will go away.  In reality, this serves ZERO PURPOSE, and its just another click and way to trip up the user.  I am here to work, I am not here to look pretty.  I am here to work as quickly and efficiently as I can, the less I can CLICK and have to INTERRACT, the better.

LOSE THE SPLASH SCREEN.  SHOW US YOUR EGO DOESNT NEED STROKING.  WE ALL KNOW ITS ALTERYX.  The least you could do is have it disappear after 2 seconds, AND AVOID THE CLICK.  SERIOUSLY, this is a VERY VERY BAD piece of programming into your software.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Inactive User

The reason why we have the splash screen is to alert users that the program has launched as it takes a couple of seconds to open Designer itself. They then know they have not launched Alteryx Designer more than once by accidentally double clicking the icon. This is common practice for software that can take a second to open to alert users it is opening.

DanM

Inactive User
Not applicable

Ok, then make the popup window open for 2 seconds and go away... why do we have to click it?  ALSO, why would you make your program be able to open the same file more than once??  That's bad design.  Name one program that you can have duplicate named files open??  If the file is already open, Alteryx should realize it by seeing the thread in the WIN32 API and thus, not REOPEN the same file.  Listen, I am telling you, 99% of your audience DOES NOT LIKE THIS FEATURE.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Inactive User,

The selection of the software is not to open a file, but to open multiple instances of the program. Again, this is a common software practice letting users know the software has launched and is opening. We can keep your Idea here and if enough users agree that this is something they would like to see changed, we will look into making a change.

Thanks,

DanM 

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Do you mean the blue splash screen or the getting started window?

if you mean the getting started window, you can turn this off in user settings - I haven’t seen this screen for months.

if you mean the blue splash screen, what’s the issue having this whilst Alteryx is loading for a couple of seconds, surely it’s better that the user knows Alteryx is actually opening rather than looking at a blank screen thinking that they didn’t open the application correctly or an error has occurred with it?

Inactive User
Not applicable

Yes, the blue splash screen... NOT USEFUL.  The blue splash screen DOES NOT close on its own, you have to click it.  That's ridiculous.  It should CLOSE ON ITS OWN after Alteryx has opened... like every other piece of software on the planet.  PHOTOSHOP? Closes on its own.  EXCEL?  Closes on its own.  Alteryx, BLUE SPLASH SCREEN LIVES OVER YOUR WORKFLOW until you click it.  I don't want to click it, I want it to go away after Alteryx loads.  THATS A NO BRAINER.

Ever open Internet Explorer.  What is the behavior? ---> NO SPLASH SCREEN.  I am not wondering, "WHERE IS MY INTERNET EXPLORER?":  Do you wonder that, EVER?

Ever open Google Chrome. What is the behavior? ---> NO SPLASH SCREEN... and believe me, I am not in a panic wondering if it will open or not.

Let's see what other apps I have on my computer... Adobe Illustrator... when it opens, yes, you get a little splash screen BUT ONLY BECAUSE ITS LOADING ALL THESE PLUG INS and whatever else, and once its loaded, guess what happens.  ANY IDEA?  IT GOES AWAY!!!  I DONT HAVE TO CLICK IT. 

Cmon, this is a no brainer.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@Inactive User, I don't work at Alteryx, so other than voting on ideas and voicing my opinion I have no impact on changes to the product.

I've just tested what you mean and I do not have to click to remove the splash screen. Alteryx 2018.2 on my machine behaves in exactly the way that you suggest for Adobe Illustrator... When Alteryx opens, you get a splash screen when it's loading the application, tools and datasets and once this is done it dissappears automatically without me having to click it. Yes I can click it if I wish to make the splash screen dissappear sooner, but I don't think this makes the application load quicker!

Please see the GIF below which show's alteryx opening without me having to click the splash screen.

Maybe this is a bug in a specific version that you're using??

Alteryx Splash Screen.gif

RobMedellin
5 - Atom

@Joe_Lipski . I think he means that the splash screen takes a lot of time being there. It should be there just 2 seconds tops.

My alteryx opens in like 4 seconds and the splash screen remains there on top for a few more seconds that feels like ages when the idea the fuels alteryx is productivity, time saving, effort saving. And waiting or clicking is neither.

So, unlike him I'M NOT GOING TO YELL!!!! :P but I do get his point. Hopefully Alteryx can give us the option to reduce the on-screen time for that.

Liyamu
5 - Atom

I understand the frustration, although I didn't share it until very recently.  Honestly, I kind of like the pretty image, but I do agree it doesn't need to stay up as long as it does.  But whatever. 

However, my (very recent) issue is this: When an error window pops up upon launch (in my case, warning me that there was an error loading a macro that was created with a newer version of Alteryx), it pops up BEHIND the splash image, effectively rendering it invisible by hiding it.  The problem was, I had no idea what was going on.  To me, it seemed like Alteryx was hanging every time I tried to launch it.  It was only by pure chance that I somehow accidentally managed to click on and drag the error message window out from behind the splash image.

So please, for unsuspecting people like me, do not place error windows behind that image.  All it needed was for me to click OK, which I would have happily done instead of force-quitting multiple times and even restarting my computer because I thought the program was frozen.