The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Cached Data

Bring back the Cache checkbox for Input tools. It's cool that we can cache individual tools in 2018.4. 

The catch is that for every cache point I have to run the entire workflow. With large workflows that can take a considerable amount of time and hinders development. Because I have to run the workflow over and over just to cache all my data.

Add the cache checkbox back for input tools to make the software more user friendly.

26 Comments
jrobiso2
8 - Asteroid

If I upgrade my desktop Alteryx to 2019.3 for dev purposes, can I still export my workflows to a 2018.3 Alteryx Workflow Server if I hand edit the yxmd and change the version info there to <AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2018.3"> ?

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jrobiso2 Yes, the generally structure of the workflow XML has not changed. If you use any specific features added after 2018.3 they obviously won't work when opened in 2018.3 though.

jrobiso2
8 - Asteroid

**bleep** - I just realized we use "Export Workflow" when exporting for the Alteryx SERVER system, and thus I don't get the option to alter the xml to say 2018.3 before its all zipped up.

Ugh.

I take it the Alteryx server will refuse to run a workflow whose Alteryx version is higher than the server's version?

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jrobiso2 That is generally correct. You could keep a newer non-admin version of Alteryx, and an admin older version, make edits in the new one and then open it in an old one to do the upload to server?

jrobiso2
8 - Asteroid

That should work. Thanks!

Also, the board "bleeped" my use of the word c. r. a. p. ? Wow.

jrobiso2
8 - Asteroid

Not to put too fine of a point on this, but the new method of cacheing inputs still requires us to select all the inputs individually, then right click one to select "Cache and run".

I really miss the old checkbox on the Workflow tab to "cache all inputs". One click cache action.

I have something like 25 inputs, 20 of them DB data pulls. One check "cache all" was so much better.