Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Cached Data

Bring back the Cache checkbox for Input tools. It's cool that we can cache individual tools in 2018.4. 

The catch is that for every cache point I have to run the entire workflow. With large workflows that can take a considerable amount of time and hinders development. Because I have to run the workflow over and over just to cache all my data.

Add the cache checkbox back for input tools to make the software more user friendly.

26 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

I have good news. In the 2019.1 release you will see the ability to select multiple tools and cache multiple tools at once. 

Deciding when to release features is tricky business sometimes. We want to release the feature as soon as you'll find some value in it, but sometimes that means it's not as awesome as we want it to be. That was the case with caching. We thought caching was valuable, so we released it (and this meant we had to remove the Input Data cache option). We also knew that it would be even more awesome with the ability to cache multiple tools at once. The good news is that we are adding that functionality in 2019.1. I hope you enjoy it! 

Tim_Lang
6 - Meteoroid

Rachel - will we be able to cache inputs as we did in the past. This helps when building workflows or one that error on input data to not rerun all inputs that pass good data.

The key is not to manually have to select cache options each time we open the workflow on workflows frequently used.

Please bring back the cache checkbox for input tools or even better add cache checkbox for all tools.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Tim_Lang You won't see the check box added back to the Input Data tool in the 19.1 release. 

Will you tell me a little more about how you'd use that checkbox in Input Data differently than you'd use the cache functionality?

Tim_Lang
6 - Meteoroid

Rachel - The main difference is the ability to save cache for when the workflow is opened in the future. I typically build a workflow and then build on it day after day adding additional functionality. Since the workflow takes a few minutes to run the 1X time, I prefer all non-live data be cached to allow faster run times during development.

The new functionality works well for adhoc and when a single input but not so well when a workflow has parallel processes within it.

If we could add back the check box feature or even better enhance it with adding cache checkboxes to other tools as well it would be a big time save.

I submitted the idea as a request. It's posted under:

Cache Checkbox - Allow selection of cache with a checkbox embedded

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Tim_Lang Thanks so much for the clarification. That really helps me understand why you are making this request. I will consider enabling the cache to be saved for future use as an improvement to caching. 

james_neuburger
5 - Atom

have tried the workflow caching when revising old workflows... I don't want to be abrupt, but eliminating this tool has rendered the time savings of alteryx to null and I feel that I will need to migrate to another tool.

please bring this back.

RSK
7 - Meteor

I have nearly 100 Input Data sources in my workflow. The Record Cache checkbox saved me hours. THIS IS A MUST! I cannot be required to re-select each and every Input Data to cache each time I open the workflow. The new 2018 feature is counter-productive. I'm performing UAT for my company and will highly suggest we go back to Alteryx Designer 11.7.4.

RSK
7 - Meteor

I was just told to provide an analogy of the benefit of Record Cache.

Record Cache checkbox in 11.7.4 is like making one trip to the supermarket for a 100 items.

No Record Cache checkbox in version 2018 is like making 100 trips to the supermarket for 100 items.

Should I really be expected to make 100 multiple cache selections each time I open my huge workflow?

Hope this further explains the importance of not taking away useful features in future versions.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks for your feedback! We are going to put the cache data checkbox back in the Input Data tool and it will utilize the new caching system.

Tim_Lang
6 - Meteoroid

That's great news! What release will this come out with?