Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Cache option doesn't function when 'Disable All Tools that Write Output' option selected

The new Cache tool does not function if the 'Disable All Tools that Write Output' option is selected in the workflow runtime properties.  There is no indication of why the cache is not working and this may be confusing because many users won't associate the 'cache' as a normal output.  The interface should be changed to make this more clear or the cache function configured to ignore this workflow runtime option. 

14 Comments
jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

We will make the text for this feature more clear for the 19.2 release, so users know cache does not work when output tools are disabled.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@jpoz  Any chance you are looking to fix this so caching does work when outputs are disabled?

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

I was on the fence with this one. If you tell Alteryx to not write outputs, and caching utilizes writing an output, it seems like it not working with caching also makes sense.

Rich_Stebles
8 - Asteroid

I ran into this today, it's very irritating. 

From the user perspective, caching is not about writing an output, it's about saving your place in the workflow as an input for future runs. 

I get that behind the scenes what it is doing is writing a temporary yxdb, but that doesn't really matter: the spirit of the cache functionality is to use the cache point as an Input Data tool, not an Output Data tool

I think caching should be unaffected by the disable outputs option, just like Browse outputs aren't affected

Just my two pence

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Accepted

Thank you for the feedback on this. We are planning to enhance the functionality so that caching works with the "Disable All Tools that Write Output" option.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thank you for your idea!

Keep an eye our for the feature to be available in an upcoming release!

HeatherMHarris
11 - Bolide

Thank you for working on this! @MikeN and I ran into this today. It would be good for the cache and outputs to be controlled separately. 

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for suggesting this! As of the 2020.1 release (http://downloads.alteryx.com) you can use caching even when the 'Disable All Tools that Write Output' option is selected.

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

Awesome!

trettelap
8 - Asteroid

It doesn't look like this feature is working with 2020.2. Would something have changed with this?