Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Built-In Data Cache Functionality

The one single feature I miss the most in Alteryx, is the possibility to restart the workflow from wherever I want by using a built-in cache functionality. I have used the 'Cache Dataset V2' macro, but it really is to inflexible and really doesn't make me a happy Alteryx user. I would like to se a more flexible, quicker way of working with cached data.

On a single tool in the workflow I want to be able to set the option to:

• Enable cache
    This would enable me to always use cached data from this node when possible

• Run to this node
    Run from start OR from node with enabled cache to this node.

There should be lots of workflow options regarding the creation/deletion of cached data. Examples:

• Enable data cache on all nodes
    This would enable functionality to always use cached data on all nodes in the workflow

• Enable data cache on end nodes
    This would enable functionality to cache data on all 'Run to this node'-nodes.

...and so on. These are just a few examples, but there should be lots of options and shortcut keys revolving the cached data functionality in the workflow.

9 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @aroos

I believe this is similar to some other ideas posted:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Restart-from-Here/idi-p/46506

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Ability-to-run-individual-tools/idi-p/43097

It may be worth adding your idea to one of these two, so that we can bring these together into one request (since they are essentially targeting the same need)?

Cheers

Sean

PeterPetersen
8 - Asteroid

I agree. This is a much needed functionality at my workplace.

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

kpuser
7 - Meteor

Is there any update on this?  I believe a feature like this will carry a lot of weight in terms of convincing SAS users to like Alteryx.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @aroos - this was actually demonstrated on-stage at Inspire as being part of the next release - so not long now!

kpuser
7 - Meteor

Fantastic!

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thanks for all the input and suggestions @aroos and @kpuser!

We did give folks a sneak peek of this at Inspire this year to drum up some excitement. I'm excited to announce that a version of caching will be included in our Alteryx version 2018.3 release!

Stay tuned. We'd love to hear what you think and how we can build on this in the future.

The_Data_Loop
8 - Asteroid

Image result for patiently waiting

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Caching's live in 2018.3!

Thanks for pushing this one up on the priority list for us. We hope it will help streamline your workflow development and rapid prototyping use cases.