Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Bring back Save, undo and re-do buttons to the new UI in 2018.4

I think I'm liking the new UI, but I think it's necessary to bring back save, undo and re-do buttons....

1. Frequent saving of workflows is crucial and not everyone uses keyboard shortcuts

2. The ability to undo (lots) of changes is a key part of iterating and rapidly building workflows in Alteryx and again not everyone uses keyboard shortcuts to do this.

Looks like there's potentially space to add this to the right of 'help' (I suspect this might be technically quiet difficult) or to the left of 'run', 'schedule' and 'active documents' as seen in the image below.

Out of interest, where has the 'documents' terminology come from?

2018-11-14 22_12_14-Alteryx Designer x64 - PureGym Log In.yxmd_.png

61 Comments
wlhale
7 - Meteor

The BLACK background for the inactive tool pallet is killing me and my production. I'm a little older than some of you and my eyes are not what they used to be but anyone that thinks purple on a black background stands out is just kidding themselves. I literally am having a very difficult time find the family of tools that i want now. The black background has to go or i may need to fall back to an older version, it's that bad for me. And for the more shortcuts, that just means spending more time memorizing/learning/etc. At least give us the option to turn it on or off. The shortcuts can still work for those that want them but i never considered Alteryx a high production data entry tool and therefore clicking save/new etc takes no more time than than trying to stretch my 50 yr old fingers across the keyboard to form some kind of keyboard combination, hopefully the right one!. Love ALTERYX every day but not this new GUI, it's a step backwards to me.

Marc_Ponick
5 - Atom

Agree with this idea 100%

Recently setup several teams with Alteryx and none of them use shortcuts for any software regularly.

Thought we would be fine using shortcuts, but it's turning into a big point of frustration.

There's plenty of blank dark blue space available at the top of the UI to fit in a few buttons.

Please bring back Open, Save and undo / redo - or at least make it optional.

Thanks

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

One other UI change that would be nice is the order of flows in the dropdown when all tabs are not visible.  Having them ordered by where they are across the top instead of alphabetical order would be more intuitive, especially when you are working on multiple projects with flows and supporting macros grouped together.  And on that same grouping issue, when right clicking a macro in a flow to open it in a separate tab, it would be nicer if it opened just right of the flow it is in instead of opening all the way to the right.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks  

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @BetterFerret, I'd suggest posting both of these as new ideas if they haven't been posted already.

I've shared the ordering with the UI team on many occasions, so hopefully it's something that they take into consideration. This has been an issue for a long time (maybe even forever) so isn't something new, but hopefully something similar that can be fixed.

I find this especially annoying when I have many workflows open to demo, in a certain order, but then the dropdown is completely different!

datamonkey
8 - Asteroid

Adding more keyboard shortcuts does not require removing the toolbar. This is a strange explanation - why does one preclude the other? As one other user here commented, if I'm already using the mouse (which I usually am in Alteryx), I prefer to click the Save button; other times I may use the keyboard shortcut. Removing the toolbar rather than making it optional is a big step backwards IMO as is the new placement of the micro-toolbar aka Run button and its neighbours.

Jash
7 - Meteor

Yes! Please bring back New, open, Save, Undo, Redo icons.

Or at least give us an option to display that toolbar for people like me. 

Aquarock
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, please please bring back the Save, Save As, Undo, Redo, Open shortcut bar.  No idea why anyone thought it would be a good idea to get rid of things that reduce the amount of "clicks" you have to go through to accomplish simple tasks like opening a new or existing workflow, etc.

Sorry I should have added that I also don't like the moving of the Run button, and the inclusion of what seems to be a worthless Zoom in/out button set as well as the Scheduling and Next workflow buttons.  All useless as I would just simply move across my open workflows and never use the "next" button. 

As a positive feedback, I do love the sorting/filtering abilities in the results window....now that is handy when troubleshooting, or simply looking for some specific data that is coming through on a workflow without having to add another external filter just to see if it falls out etc.

iwobarto
6 - Meteoroid

I totally agree, please bring back the buttons. As mentioned above, the point of Alteryx UI is dragging and dropping, so using a mouse. So it is much easier to click a button than use a shortcut.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

They could also add a Save option when you hit right click on the canvas.

JH123
7 - Meteor
Completely agree!