Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Bring back Save, undo and re-do buttons to the new UI in 2018.4

I think I'm liking the new UI, but I think it's necessary to bring back save, undo and re-do buttons....

1. Frequent saving of workflows is crucial and not everyone uses keyboard shortcuts

2. The ability to undo (lots) of changes is a key part of iterating and rapidly building workflows in Alteryx and again not everyone uses keyboard shortcuts to do this.

Looks like there's potentially space to add this to the right of 'help' (I suspect this might be technically quiet difficult) or to the left of 'run', 'schedule' and 'active documents' as seen in the image below.

Out of interest, where has the 'documents' terminology come from?

2018-11-14 22_12_14-Alteryx Designer x64 - PureGym Log In.yxmd_.png

61 Comments
Brad1
11 - Bolide

Don't punish the rest of us because some people are too quick to click the Save button.

My mouse has travel dozens of yards on it way to the old spot for the Play button.

muralidhar
5 - Atom

I do like the effort to refresh/update the interface but I must share my feedback.

I do run Alteryx on a fairly large monitor (I made the window smaller just so that I can grab the screenshot) and some of my processes require constantly changing/tweaking the configuration of filters, joins, and calculations. I liked when the run button was just above the configuration tool but now I need to travel over 24 inches (or 60 cm) to get to the run button. Sure I could use a keyboard shortcut but I'm not sure how many people are that savy to hit Ctrl+R with one hand. That's also two buttons vs one click but now its two uttons vs a very long journey and a click. Just imagine if I have to make 100 iterations, it can get annoying pretty fast. 

alteryx 2018-4 ui change.PNG

I come from a developer background where a lot of my IDE's use F5 to run, if that were the shortcut then maybe I'd be fine. Also every single IDE I've used has always had the Run button at the same location, almost as if it were a standard. But this being a primarily drag-and-drop interface I do use the mouse a lot more than keyboard shortcuts. It's also less brain power to spend trying to figure out where my fingers are supposed to go and did I hit the correct combo...

Finally I swear my English is pretty good and I definitely know how to spell "Preliminary"...

alteryx 2018-4 font change.PNG

Update:

I just rolled back to 2018.3.... Oh how I missed this!

alteryx 2018-3 ui.PNG

Dominika
5 - Atom

Please bring it back!! It kills my productivity as I'm more a "mouse" person and don't like the idea of being forced to use key shortcuts!!

This is first time when I hated update and went back to downgrade my version to the old one.... while waiting for the positive change hopefully in 2019.1...

Please bring it back!!

sgopinath
7 - Meteor

Just installed 2019.1.. no change... still have to use the keyboard shortcut to save. !

StarTrader
6 - Meteoroid

Alteryx team.......I installed 2019.1.....The icons are filled in (much better) but the Save, Undo, and Redo buttons are still missing.

Is there a plan to add these buttons back in the next release?

(Please say yes......)

Dominika
5 - Atom

Oohhh noooo.... I was hoping so much for this to change in 2019.1... why they don't leave this as an option to have it or hide... a big disappointment for me....

bslipetz3
7 - Meteor

Please bring back the toolbar. It is distracting when you can't just mouse over to the save icon and yes you can use the shortcut keys but that means going from mouse to keying back to mouse just to save or having to choose menu options. The other options that were on the toolbar were very useful too. Please bring back - and even better - put the Run option back so it is consistent with other software.

wlhale
7 - Meteor

I too am looking for the open - save tools. I got so used to them and now they are gone. 

NikolaiPetrovich
5 - Atom

offer on keeping workflow version controloffer on keeping workflow version control

MRiv
5 - Atom

I also like the new UI but am finding the lost of the save button and new location of the run button awkward.  Like in MS office, it would be great if we could create/define custom buttons on the Quick Access Toolbar at the top of the form above the menu,  rather than being forced to use a predefined configuration.