The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Bring back Save, undo and re-do buttons to the new UI in 2018.4

I think I'm liking the new UI, but I think it's necessary to bring back save, undo and re-do buttons....

1. Frequent saving of workflows is crucial and not everyone uses keyboard shortcuts

2. The ability to undo (lots) of changes is a key part of iterating and rapidly building workflows in Alteryx and again not everyone uses keyboard shortcuts to do this.

Looks like there's potentially space to add this to the right of 'help' (I suspect this might be technically quiet difficult) or to the left of 'run', 'schedule' and 'active documents' as seen in the image below.

Out of interest, where has the 'documents' terminology come from?

2018-11-14 22_12_14-Alteryx Designer x64 - PureGym Log In.yxmd_.png

61 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I didn't realize how much I used these... Until they're gone.

Ruud
10 - Fireball

With every training I give I try to get everyone accustomed to shortcuts, but removing the option to click in its entirety is a bit overkill I guess ;)

Marco
8 - Asteroid

Personally I like the fact that they are gone, but I understand that not everyone uses keyboard shortcuts. Maybe add an option to enable/disable them in the user config?  

jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

Seriously

JenniferO
8 - Asteroid
There was also a new workflow button that was in that group which also seriously needs to be brought back. It's so odd to remove those.
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Wish I would've had time for the Beta.

These option buttons definitely need to come back.  I just took out a ruler.  We gained 1/8th of an inch in canvas real estate.  So not worth removing these buttons for that.  I can't think of one software I use on a daily basis that doesn't have those at the top. 

Just for reference, the pipe character on your keyboard is 1/8th of an inch:  |

Take back the 1/8th of an inch screen real estate and give us the buttons back :)

Still love you though! (my wife tells me to end with a positive when I complain about things) LOL

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Also, I'm not a fan of the outlined tool categories either.  Was so much easier to see them when they were filled in.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@JenniferO The new workflow option is still there in the form of the + next to the existing workflows that are open, just moved from the toolbar.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mbarone I don't believe the UI update was part of the public beta. For the 2019.1 beta, it looks like "UI reskin" may be an item: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/CNTL-F-is-for-F/m-p/329209#M59822 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Ah.  Good to know.  Oh man, another change in the UI.  I'm not a fan of constant UI updates unless it really improves the UX.  Just changing colors, moving things around, changing icons, and the like are not UX improvements IMHO.  Yes, I'm that guy LOL.