Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Automate license transfer between devices

What about allowing us to maintain the same active license / activation info on 2 devices simultaneously, but automatically deactivating the license on the other device when the program is used? Almost all software these days allows users to do full installation and activation on secondary devices, but restricts the use of the software to a number of active devices at any point in time. The current process of juggling a clunky transfer process (and temporary "demo" installs when that fails) just to be able to work on an office desktop during the day and a laptop at night / home is a brutal restriction on users.

This has been brought up many times and is always ignored. The current license approach is no longer a simple inconvenience now that we are living in the age of Covid. The ability to easily move between computers is a necessity in order for us to manage the constant unpredictable work arrangements of our modern world. Please address this issue.

6 Comments
iCFO
9 - Comet

This is apparently a possibility currently, however it requires special approval in order to do dual device installation on a license.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @iCFO there is definitely flexibility around this type of license fulfillment. Have you reached out to your Account Exec?

iCFO
9 - Comet

I have reached out to fulfilment support and account management. They are in the process of getting approval. Still waiting to hear back. Thanks for checking in with me @CristonS !

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I am glad you'll be able to get what you need! I am going to leave this idea up because I agree that this should be a thing. Using multiple machines should be treated as a common practice, especially in these days of the remote/ hybrid paradigm.

Let's get some upvotes! Please share this idea with Community friends & colleagues, build some engagement, and hopefully get this on the roadmap! Thanks again for posting : )

iCFO
9 - Comet

It is 2 months later and this is still not resolved. I was in regular contact with helpful support staff who were working to get approval, but haven't received a reply to my last inquiry on a time frame that was sent 2 weeks ago. This issue has forced me to shift over to another platform in order to keep up with my workload.

I am assuming at this point that Alteryx has to prioritize the financial risk of licenses being shared across multiple users / devices over the flexibility needs of a few power users juggling dual computers... I certainly understand the need to protect a revenue stream and avoid abuse, but the current policy just wasn't manageable for my use case.

I hope that Alteryx considers a policy change moving forward. Unfortunately, we were forced to transition.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes