The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Auto cache & load

Here's a reason to get excited about amp!   Create a runtime setting that gets Alteryx working even faster. 

when you configure a file input you see 100 records.  Imagine the delight that after you run your workflows all input tools are automatically cached.  You run so much faster. 

now think of the absolute delight that even before you run the workflows that a configured input tool causes a background read off the input data.  Whether it is a new workflow or an opened existing flow that reading can start ahead of the time button. 

what do you think 🤔?

9 Comments
jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I like the idea. A few questions:

How are macros handled in this instance?

Would this add extra lag when I place every single tool on the canvas?

Is this a default that is pre-selected or an Opt-In?

How are python scripts handled?

How are API calls (download tool or custom python tool) handled?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Applies to file input.  Creates cached data (foreground/background). No impact on other tool performance. Opt in feature!  Input files only. Keep your Python, api and macros to yourself. 

Cheers

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

HA! good deal. So it's more of a tool default instead of a workflow default then, right?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Sounds great!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I will "opt in" to this idea

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for posting, Mark!

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Good catch!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

i like the idea of using multi-treading to avoid having to push play every time.

that's a lot like Atleryx demonstrated in the Cloud Designer recently - each time you drop on a tool, it just takes the next step without having to play from start.