Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Alteryx Needs some Cable Management!

Hi everyone! I have been trying to find a way to do this without creating a new idea, but I have decided to make it an official 'Idea' to see if there is anyone else that might appreciate a feature like this (or has found there own way to do it!)

Do your workflows look like this...

cable mgmt idea (before).png

but you wish they could look like this?

cable mgmt idea (after).png

Well... they can with your help!

Okay, I might be crazy...but its worth a shot.

While I understand this is an extremely niche issue, in my experience, it can become very difficult to trace the data through unmanaged lines in large workflows. I think it will be great to cable manage canvas lines so workflows are easier to follow. Heck, while I am already at it, I think it we should all start calling these canvas lines cables... They don't carry electricity, but they sure do carry data!

Here is an example I created in Alteryx using select tools and containers:

alteryx cable mgmt idea.png

28 Comments
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

This definitely makes a cleaner workflow.

There are a few other ideas about making better use of connections, such as these

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Connector-line-directional-controls/idi-p/10...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Ability-to-color-connnector-lines/idi-p/1023...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Designer-UX-CReW-Inspired-Updates/idi-p/9903...

It would be great if they could be grouped to further develop features on connectors.

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

This is a cool approach to a common problem!

This enhancement combined with some cable color coding (so you don't accidentally cut a wire that sets off an explosion) would be a great idea!

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Great Idea. Specially for workflows involving multiple tools both from a documentation as well as understanding perspective.

saiirangam
8 - Asteroid

This will also help while debugging very big workflow which is created by the team , definitely this will be fantastic feature.

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

My OCD loves this idea!

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I'd love something like that. I miss something like a button that reorganize the workflow for you to be more clear about the connections. That is something common for database tools to show their Entity-Relationship diagrams.

I believe something similar could be developed to help on that connection management.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

This is a great idea @npariso! Thought to share some ways I found helped with organizing my Alteryx "cables" 😎:

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Agreed with @Adrian_T , these are 2 good options to help you organize the workflow.

I particularly like much to use the wireless connection for large workflows, but you need to use carefully to don't start to be harder to understand the workflow due to you don't see very clearly many lines.

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@Ladarthure should you push you Obscura presentation a bit further ?