Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Alteryx Needs some Cable Management!

Hi everyone! I have been trying to find a way to do this without creating a new idea, but I have decided to make it an official 'Idea' to see if there is anyone else that might appreciate a feature like this (or has found there own way to do it!)

Do your workflows look like this...

cable mgmt idea (before).png

but you wish they could look like this?

cable mgmt idea (after).png

Well... they can with your help!

Okay, I might be crazy...but its worth a shot.

While I understand this is an extremely niche issue, in my experience, it can become very difficult to trace the data through unmanaged lines in large workflows. I think it will be great to cable manage canvas lines so workflows are easier to follow. Heck, while I am already at it, I think it we should all start calling these canvas lines cables... They don't carry electricity, but they sure do carry data!

Here is an example I created in Alteryx using select tools and containers:

alteryx cable mgmt idea.png

28 Comments
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be very cool ! 😄 Great Idea

pliskers
7 - Meteor

Looks great - what tool did you use to link all the connector lines together?

Taylor_S
8 - Asteroid

I adore this idea. Line management would be HUGE! I'm very big on documentation and organization of workflows (perhaps to a fault) and this is something I'm wishing more and more I had as I'm building to pass along or share with others. Although it's nice to group the tools, the connections just get very unruly at times and I find that no matter what I do to make them cleaner it still can be overwhelming to someone unfamiliar with the flow. Wireless connections are nice but to those unfamiliar with a flow, and perhaps new to the platform, it just becomes confusing. And if we could color these or even change the shape of the connectors?! That would be AMAZING!

terry10
11 - Bolide

Great idea!

Further, it would also useful if the cables could have the option of being wired or wireless.

BrendanSheridan
7 - Meteor

This is a great idea. I did put in similar request a few years ago where you were given the ability to colour code the connections. A combination of your idea and colour coding would be very useful in my opinion.

Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

Great Idea!

thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid

I gave up and just started using straight connectors. I found the stock ones to be crazy at times. I love this idea. 

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Great ideas! Definitely will make workflows more readable

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Love this idea!

Chris-Nienart
7 - Meteor

When organizing physical cables (such as audio wires), a common solution is called a "cable snake". 🐍

In the spirit of that name, can we have some fun with the terminology and concept?

• The connected area between the incoming and outgoing connections is the snake's body.
  • Incoming connections enter via the snake's mouth.
  • Outgoing connections exit via the snake's tail.

And while we're at it, let's make the snake body green!

Here are a few more pictures for inspiration.

Come on Alteryx, you can do it! :)