Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow the use of constant after the "aka:"

Hello,

we have several environment in our organization : dev, recept, production.

In order to make that change safe we intend to make several connection (standard alias)  like

alias_in_memory_pour_support.PNG

PRODUCTION_HIVE

DEV_HIVE

RECEPT_HIVE

In our workflows, we want to use aka:%Question.v_environment%HIVE

Sadly, this solution does not work despite the value defaut. 

aka_et_alias_in_memory.PNG

19 Comments
lanningb
7 - Meteor

I would be surprised if they took out the ODBC connection in 2018.1.  Maybe somebody else knows or that question could be asked to the support team?

For the second option, just use a Text Input with one Action and then pass that into an IN-DB Tool. Something like this:

mulitQuery.yxwz.png

I have my SQL queries in XML files. This makes them reusable and easier to modify.

sundaramc
6 - Meteoroid

@Ianningb, Thanks so much for this example. I like the clean solution here. So  I tried but it still wouldn't take postgres in the IN-DB connection string :(. 

lanningb
7 - Meteor

@sundaramcI would think you can download and install an ODBC for Postgres driver and then it may show up in your dropdown?

I don't have a Postgres db to test that though.

Something like this: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ODBC_Driver_for_PostgreSQL

sundaramc
6 - Meteoroid

We do have the ODBC for Postgres and that's how we are connecting even on the input tool. Still exploring options :)

sundaramc
6 - Meteoroid

lanningb
7 - Meteor

@sundaramc

I think I figured this out.

I can use a macro with Control Parameters.

I just pass in the CONNECTION_NAME and the SQL query into a macro and using Action tools, modify the aka:Connection_Name and the actual SQL query in the Input tool:

GetDataFromDB2.yxmc1_.png

GetDataFromDB2.yxmc2_.png

sundaramc
6 - Meteoroid

You are right and I forgot to mention that I had tried macro too. The disadvantage of doing that is while constructing the workflow you don't have the output columns of that macro and hence constructing the workflow becomes challenging. 

My macro was built as shown 

m_dynamic_DB.PNG

SrucBI
7 - Meteor

This would make life much better for us too and enable us to productionise code without having to get into individual components. I too have implemented using the Action, but it is pretty clunky. I have also done it using a IN-DB tool, but the problem with that is that you can't use it to exec procs, and the first thing I want to do when starting a workflow is to run a proc to initialise my ETL logging tables.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes