Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow input tools to open files as "Read Only"

I understand the need for "exclusive rights" when using an input tool.  Unfortunately, due to the nature of some corporate data, getting write access to a file is not always possible.  I would like to have the ability to configure an input tool to open a file in "Read Only" mode while producing a warning message that the file was processed in that mode and may not contain the lastest version pf the data.  I envision this as a checkbox option in the tool configuration panel.

25 Comments
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

What kind of files?  You can do this already with CSV files.

keith_ainsworth
6 - Meteoroid

Outside of any database access, any file type that supports a "read only" option.   The only reason I can see to open a file "read/write" is to ensure that you have exclusive use to that file while processing it.  I just want the ability to say "I don't need exclusive use, open it read only".  My most common type of file that is not CSV is Excel.  I want to be able to open an Excel workbook in read only mode.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

That's an Excel setting.

Open the worksheet in Excel.

Go to the "Review" tab.

Click the button for "Share Workbook".

Once the the Share Workbook dialog opens, check the box for "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time."

Excel will then re-save the workbook.  Now, multiple users can have it open at the same time - which means Alteryx can read without getting an error if another user has it open.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. Since this needs to be configured on the Excel side, I'm going to close.

Best,

Alex

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

The input tool should allow us to open excel files in READ ONLY mode if the file is already open (locked) elsewhere.

Related posts: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Input-open-Excel-files/m-p/486936

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Allow-input-tools-to-open-files-as-quot-Read...

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

@ARich 

While this is a setting within Excel, it appears to be a default setting making this a common issue (for me anyway). When using Alteryx to process Excel files in a folder, having to manually change each incoming file is tedious. The ability to open in READ ONLY mode would still be a nice option to have.

p.s. I haven't found a way to script changing the sharing on an excel file prior to opening it.

reganreese
6 - Meteoroid

Piggybacking on @jason_scarlett It'd be a nice option to select the in the output of a file to select a shared file format to save the excel version to. 

It'd also be helpful if we could save to a named table rather than an excel sheet. or to have the option to render multiple outputs to the same excel files.

Dave_OC
5 - Atom

That's an Excel setting.

Open the worksheet in Excel.

Go to the "Review" tab.

Click the button for "Share Workbook".

Once the the Share Workbook dialog opens, check the box for "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time."

Excel will then re-save the workbook.  Now, multiple users can have it open at the same time - which means Alteryx can read without getting an error if another user has it open.

That's technically true but a very bad suggestion @patrick_mcauliffe. "Shared Workbooks" are extremely prone to corruption and other issues, such that Excel users universally advise never enabling that setting, or using a shared workbook. @jason_scarlett is also very correct in that manually enabling this setting on every potential file that might be opened is really unwieldy.

Please re-open.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@Dave_OC  It's not a good workaround, nor is it good practice; but this isn't something that Alteryx can change.  The issue is with Microsoft.

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

@patrick_mcauliffe  I'm no fan of Microsoft, but surely they have allowed Read Only mode for a reason. Alteryx and others should learn how to utilize it!

Did you know that that you can't delete a worksheet in a shared workbook? ... yes that's right .. it even says so here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/about-the-shared-workbook-feature-49b833c0-873b-48d8-8bf2-c... (see list of unsupported features)

I've converted some of my excel workbooks to Shared workbooks and now they are very annoying to work with with all of these limitations.

@ARich Libby asked me directly to make sure I give my feedback via the Ideas forums to help Alteryx become a better product. I hope this gets reopened.