Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow a setting to load a workflow "SECURELY" or without metadata refresh

Currently if a user has multiple connections in a workflow that connect to a password-protected source, and that password changes, the user will be locked out of their account by login attempts as Alteryx attempts to validate the connection.

Today I had to manually edit the XML of another user's workflow in order to remove references to their server, so they could correct their password without locking the account for a third time today.

While I understand that aliases are a good workaround to this problem, the issue still has potential to occur.

Having an option to load a workflow in a "SECURE" or "SAFE" mode, where it would not validate a query until runtime, or refreshing the metadata manually, would help to significantly reduce lockouts which would improve the usability of the tool.

5 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

+1

jconley
5 - Atom

I would highly agree with this one.  I am running into this right now, and because the files are all on servers, editing while disconnected is a challenge.  I have not experienced this until this week when changing my password.  I have change it in the past without issue, so not sure if this is something that is different with the newer versions or if our company's security policy changed to reduce the number of attempts accepted, but in either case it would be great to have control over this.

malini91
5 - Atom

A setting to load a workflow without metadata refresh is very much required;

There will not be any hiccups coming your way till the time passwords donot get changed.But, it gets awful when the user password expires or when he explicitly changes it. The database account will be locked as a result of the Alteryx making attempts to connect to the DB.

I faced one such scenario today and realize the need of a "SECURE" connection to the workflow.

Currently, Alteryx keeps the credentials(password) in encrypted form which shall be changed as well. There may be a modification that as soon as workflow is opened a pop up appears on the screen asking for the credentials. ( This is the case with other ETL tools i worked upon).

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!