Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow Personal Use of License

I'd like to see Alteryx allow a second install of your license on a second, personal machine.  Tableau allows this and IMO is why there is such a robust online / blog community around that product.

For those of us that work at mid-size to large organizations, there are often strict rules governing internal data and use of cloud-based data sources.  If I discover some new trick I'd like the share with my fellow Alteryx analysts outside of my company, I have no clear way to do that the same way I can with Tableau where I can do it at home not using my company's data.

Being able to learn new features and test things out on commonly available public data (ever notice that Superstore data set everyone who gets Tableau has?) would accelerate what we're able to do with the community site here and the larger analytics blogging community.

57 Comments
Hugo
9 - Comet

@Joe_Lipski would this work if you have the one license key for your whole organisation as mine does?

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@Hugo - good point, i'm not sure on this one... Probably worth checking with alteryx fulfillment - maybe they can allocate you an individual key are reduce your master key by one seat?

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

Does the license transfer option work for different versions?  my company uses specifically 11.5, but the current online version is 2019.1.. If I download for personal use, and attempt to transfer my license, will it tell me that I can't transfer to that version?

wale_ilori
9 - Comet
You may need to talk to your admin or Alteryx rep as the licensing model between 11.5 and 2019.1 are quite different so I don’t think the same license will work.

Get Outlook for iOS
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @JSNelson08,

The license transfer likely will not work between 11.5 and 2019.1 as Alteryx changed licensing platforms when we released 11.8 last spring.
I would reach out to your licensing Admin within your company, or email Fulfillment@alteryx.com as they can do a license lookup for you.

Hope this helps!

TrevorS

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi All!

Thank you for all posting and contributing to the Alteryx Community!

I'm updating this idea to implemented, as the ability to obtain personal licenses is currently available, under the term 'Right to Install on Two Machines'. Those interested in obtaining a personal license will need to work directly with their sales executive to insure all necessary steps are completed for the license key to be provided.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @KylieF, are you able to provide a little bit more information on what you mean by the term 'Right to Install on Two Machines,' or where this 'term' is listed?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @Joe_Lipski,

Apologizes if my wording was confusing. Right to Install on Two Machines is the term that our sales executives use for this personal license request and is present on the agreement that is provided when purchasing a license key. It's a legal term that will only be present on this agreement.

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

does this include Enterprise License Agreements (ELAs) or only per license deals?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@JSNelson08

ELAs are handled in a different manner then standard single license purchases. Due to this, I would recommend reaching out to your sales executive and license administrator to confirm if your ELA is eligible for personal use licenses.