Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow Personal Use of License

I'd like to see Alteryx allow a second install of your license on a second, personal machine.  Tableau allows this and IMO is why there is such a robust online / blog community around that product.

For those of us that work at mid-size to large organizations, there are often strict rules governing internal data and use of cloud-based data sources.  If I discover some new trick I'd like the share with my fellow Alteryx analysts outside of my company, I have no clear way to do that the same way I can with Tableau where I can do it at home not using my company's data.

Being able to learn new features and test things out on commonly available public data (ever notice that Superstore data set everyone who gets Tableau has?) would accelerate what we're able to do with the community site here and the larger analytics blogging community.

57 Comments
rexeven
6 - Meteoroid

Maybe we can grab their attention... if you can’t use Alteryx at home, there is a free open-source program that can do a lot of what Alteryx can. Their predictive analytics nodes are developed in conjunction with WEKA (if you predict, you should do yourself a favor and Google weka). I 100% believe Alteryx is better, but mainly for their community. Let me know if you are interested!

fredcolina
7 - Meteor

Please do this! This will grow the tool adoption in our team. My analysts are eager to learn more in their personal time, we have Tableau and we saw the same behavior.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

+1 Any updates on this?

Anuj
8 - Asteroid

i would like to see this too 

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @AmyH / @LeahK - I see this has been marked as Accepted... What exactly does that mean?

Is there any progress or updates on this as I think this would be a fantastic - So many people want to use Alteryx in their spare time and on their own data (finances, Quantified-self, football teams, buying a new house, etc. etc.) And many cannot take their work machine home with them, or cannot put this kind of data on their work machines, so are unable to do what they need!

Thanks,

Joe

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Joe_Lipski,

Is the Transfer License functionality insufficient?  That has worked great for me.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Great point @JohnJPS!! - I hadn't even thought about using it in this way! Assume you've been doing this fairly frequently and haven't hit any issues?

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Joe_Lipski, yes - hundreds of times easily, with no issues - license always transfers smoothly.

ckrickson
5 - Atom

Hello everyone,

A total newbie here. I am currently working as a Business Analyst/Data analyst and I would like to self learn Alteryx. I found the self learning sessions on community which is a great start. But I was wondering how I can get a personal copy (I will download the 14 day trial; but I am looking for a copy for personal learning) of Alteryx in my personal machine.

Thanks you!

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @ckrickson, if you've got a professional license, then the Transfer License functionality should work for you. Or if you are an academic, student or a not-for profit, then you might be able to make use of the Alteryx For Good Scheme: https://www.alteryx.com/why-alteryx/alteryx-for-good