Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow Personal Use of License

I'd like to see Alteryx allow a second install of your license on a second, personal machine.  Tableau allows this and IMO is why there is such a robust online / blog community around that product.

For those of us that work at mid-size to large organizations, there are often strict rules governing internal data and use of cloud-based data sources.  If I discover some new trick I'd like the share with my fellow Alteryx analysts outside of my company, I have no clear way to do that the same way I can with Tableau where I can do it at home not using my company's data.

Being able to learn new features and test things out on commonly available public data (ever notice that Superstore data set everyone who gets Tableau has?) would accelerate what we're able to do with the community site here and the larger analytics blogging community.

57 Comments
peter_ferr
5 - Atom

I was told by my sales rep that "this is the world we live in" perhaps the updates about a possible change/fix in the license policy should be shared with our sales people that continue to check in on us weekly....

cbridges
11 - Bolide

Wow! The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing! Or maybe the sales people live in the world of what is while the developers are having fun in the world of what will be or could be. Frustrating answer to your question, for sure.

JohnF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

With Alteryx 10.1, we allow you to move a license key between two computers, for example, work and home.   You can reach out to your support rep (support@alteryx.com) for instructions on how to do this. 

Thanks!

JohnF

cbridges
11 - Bolide

I hope that the "moving" rather than simultaneous install is only a transitional phase and not the final feature.

I think 2 installs is pretty much industry standard for software (if it's good enough for Microsoft...) and I'm not sure how easy/fast the moving is, but if someone has to work at an office and then move their install to their laptop and back, that's kinda crazy.

Thankfully, this workaround might be useful for me since I typically only need this for user groups, conferences, or the occasional weekend push to fulfill an urgent request. But I can't imagine what it must be like for people who always work weekends or need to work anytime/anywhere.

david_jarvis
6 - Meteoroid
Support here. Thanks.
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora
Hello - we deploy via software push and user machines are set up with a generic serial that we worked with Alteryx to get set up; the generic serial key will support a given number of machines. (This was necessary to support run-as accounts with no internet access but enhanced data-access privileges: we needed users to be able to run Alteryx without being tied to either their normal or their RA account). It doesn't seem like the "move license" approach described above will work with our serial numbering scheme: how will Alteryx know which machine to "move from" in order to "move to" a home use machine?
wale_ilori
9 - Comet

This is a real value add as moany times we are trying out ideas but if we are limited to only work computers, this limits our ability to experiment.

ulrich_schumann
8 - Asteroid

Now version 11 been published, any decision regarding the home use of Alteryx taken? From my POV this would be a huge improvement and help to develop personal skills better than 'just' using Alteryx during work. Really looking forward to this ...

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

FYI: this is basically done and in place; i.e. ability to run at home: you can download and install Alteryx on your local machine; then activate the exact same license you're using at work.  It will ask if you wish to transfer the license.  Then when you're back at work, you'll need to transfer it back.  A few extra clicks but it works great.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The lack of home use options for Alteryx is a serious medium-term competitive threat factor, and I think it's well worth the community team ( @JulieH, @TaraM, @LeahK, @JoeM) making this a key priority.

Rationale:

The BI / Data Science space is very competitive (as we saw in the recent 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrants), and a key part of Alteryx's strategy needs to be around reducing the time to productivity for users; making this tool more sticky than competitors; and increasing the base of people who are invested in their Alteryx skills so that when/if they move to a new role or company, they will advocate / evangelise for Alteryx (thereby multiplying the sales force).   Finally - firms do factor in the availability of skilled practitioners when considering which tool to purchase - and if the market is very well stocked with self-trained and certified Alteryx practitioners - this becomes a decision factor in Alteryx's favour.

What's needed is a way that people can learn Alteryx at home (using the full capability) - even if they are not licensed at work.

If we had this capability, we have a very large number of staff members who would like to work towards a speciality in BI - however they cannot begin to learn Alteryx until we give them a license.    If instead, they could learn at home, they would be able to demonstrate their skill before receiving a license, and have a time-to-productivity of zero.    However right now - even the fully licensed users cannot practice or learn at home, which stifles growth.

Note: This is not an atypical need - Tableau is following this strategy with Tableau Public, Microsoft has a very very low cost subscription model for people to learn Microsoft Power BI at home.   If alteryx wants to stay relevant, and remain sticky in a market that is increasingly competitive and full of new challengers - they will need to open this up in order to build the next generation of Alterxy Professionals.

I would be more than happy to talk this through if that's helpful.

Best regards

Sean