The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Adds a group by option into Record ID tool

I often need to create a record ID that automatically increments but grouped by a specific field. I currently do it using the Multi-Row Formula tool doing [Field-1:ID]+1 because there is no group by option in the Record ID tool.

Also, sometimes I need to start at 0 but the Multi-Row Formula tool doesn't allow this so I have to use a Formula tool right after to subtract 1.

So adding a group by option to the Record ID tool would allow the user not to use the multi-row formula to do this and to start at any value wanted.

23 Comments
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Emil_Kos ,

yeah I agree.

Alteryx Gods, is there any chance of getting this functionality built in to the standard tool?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It would be great if I didn't have to use the Tile tool to do this anymore!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Jean-Balteryx - this is such a common need, it comes up at least once every few days.    as a few folk have said above, usually I use the Tile tool to get around this - but that doesn't seem to make sense (since Tile tool should be used for tiling rather than a grouped record ID).

This is also a tool that many people build when they are first starting out with the SDK - and so it seems like an easy addition to the main product.