Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Adds a group by option into Record ID tool

I often need to create a record ID that automatically increments but grouped by a specific field. I currently do it using the Multi-Row Formula tool doing [Field-1:ID]+1 because there is no group by option in the Record ID tool.

Also, sometimes I need to start at 0 but the Multi-Row Formula tool doesn't allow this so I have to use a Formula tool right after to subtract 1.

So adding a group by option to the Record ID tool would allow the user not to use the multi-row formula to do this and to start at any value wanted.

23 Comments
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Emil_Kos ,

yeah I agree.

Alteryx Gods, is there any chance of getting this functionality built in to the standard tool?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It would be great if I didn't have to use the Tile tool to do this anymore!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Jean-Balteryx - this is such a common need, it comes up at least once every few days.    as a few folk have said above, usually I use the Tile tool to get around this - but that doesn't seem to make sense (since Tile tool should be used for tiling rather than a grouped record ID).

This is also a tool that many people build when they are first starting out with the SDK - and so it seems like an easy addition to the main product.