Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Adds a group by option into Record ID tool

I often need to create a record ID that automatically increments but grouped by a specific field. I currently do it using the Multi-Row Formula tool doing [Field-1:ID]+1 because there is no group by option in the Record ID tool.

Also, sometimes I need to start at 0 but the Multi-Row Formula tool doesn't allow this so I have to use a Formula tool right after to subtract 1.

So adding a group by option to the Record ID tool would allow the user not to use the multi-row formula to do this and to start at any value wanted.

23 Comments
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

This one is amazing 😎

phoebe_kelley
9 - Comet

yes! This would be super helpful as an option. Like others have said, it is possible with other tools but it would be nice to have in the simple recordID tool.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for the feedback!

Our product team has reviewed this idea and determined we're unable to include it on the near future roadmap at this time. However, we would like to keep it in mind for future roadmap decisions and tool enhancements. We'll do our best to update this idea when our product team has reevaluated it for roadmap inclusion.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This already exists with the TIle tool. Set the tile methods to "unique value" and select the field you'd like to group by. 

Shifty
12 - Quasar

We have a macro for this that @mceleavey built. I use it all the time!

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all,

I posted this tool in the Designer Discussion area.

Enjoy.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Grouped-RecordID/m-p/762043#M183914

M.

Sharkey
6 - Meteoroid

I just add a column that contains 1 for every row (using a formula) and then add a running total on that column, grouping by whatever is required. Gives a record Id by group using 2 very simple steps.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It would be great to see this feature in the Alteryx. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Emil_Kos ,

let me know what you think of the Grouped RecordID tool I built:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Grouped-RecordID/td-p/762043

M.

PS- I agree, this should be a standard part of the tool

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mceleavey,

I tested it some time ago, and it worked perfectly. It even sorts the data in the same order after it will group it. I like that one, and you did a fantastic job building it.

I know we agree on that part, but I want to elaborate more on it. I love when the tools are built inside the Alteryx. It is easier to collaborate, and everyone can refer to the tool pallet.

Don't get me wrong. Your tool is excellent, but unfortunetly majority of users that I know never had a chance to download the macro from the internet...

I still love your tool but I would prefer to have this tool build in Alteryx 🙂