The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Additional options to the Running Sum Tool

Can you add some additional options to the running sum tool?  I know this can be done in the Multi-Row formula, but it just takes too long to program and Alteryx is designed for speed and I know it can be done.  Can you add options to average, standard deviation, etc. also with running sum?  And then add a rolling time window on it.  That would be great!

Thanks.
6 Comments
BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Sean,

For the average and standard deviation, are you looking for a running average or did you want the overall average?  Ned just posted a new blog post on some aggregate functions if you're looking for the overall values.  http://inspiringingenuity.net/2014/12/15/alteryx-aggregate-formulas/

I'm not sure how the rolling time window would work.   Would you want a new field created for the rolling time value up to that point for each record?  Maybe a 7 day average field that takes 7 days back from the current record?  

Thanks,

Ben

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Sean,

Also check out my new Moving Summarize macro

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/12/moving-summarize.html

I think it might do what you are looking for.

Cheers
Adam
Philip
12 - Quasar

Is there a way to apply the Moving Summarize macro by groups? Like the Summarize tool can apply functions with group by selections?

zm1
6 - Meteoroid

Philip, did you ever find a way to do what you asked about? Moving Summary by groupings would be a game-changer!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

There are so many good capabilities built into the CREW Macro - what would be the best approach to getting them to a state where they can be included in the core product?

I think that the CREW macros are a great incubator (as are many of the other macro packs out there) but in a highly locked down corporate environment, we cannot bring in code from 3rd parties without significant pain - so including items from innovators like @AdamR_AYX and @jdunkerley79 and @MarqueeCrew and others into the core product is the only way that many enterprise customers will be able to take advantage of them.

Let me know if this is worth a longer conversation - @avinashbonu and I can see if we can do a managed pilot if these are brought into the core product even as a beta!

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned