The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add workflow name to Info of Excel Output

It would be great to have an option in the Output Data tool to write the workflow name to the Info properties of Excel outputs.

Maybe something like this:

Excel file info.PNG

So that whenever you open an Excel file you always have a way of finding the name of the workflow that created the file.

Excel file info 2.PNG

This would make it so much easier as I often have to share Excel files with colleagues and customers and then need a way of tracking them back to workflows weeks or months later.

4 Comments
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @MikeLR 

Thank you for your idea! We appreciate the time our users take to provide us feedback and help us improve our product. Be sure to check out our other product boards and user ideas as well as our updated Submission Guidelines

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@MikeLR I think this is good time saving option, and add to the audit trail of how data is created. I've just had a play around with the info pane and while you can create a custom value to display it doesn't seem to show up.

So the only way I can think of doing this right now is to add an additional formula tool right before you output, however this adds a field to your data which you might not want. If it's an ok workaround then within each workflow are some constants that are created by the workflow:

cgoodman3_0-1618992256201.png

Then in an formula tool you can include the following formula

cgoodman3_1-1618992362614.png

Hopefully that will help in the meantime, but it would be great to see this included in the export options.

MikeLR
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @cgoodman3 that's a useful workaround, though as you say, it does add fields to the output. I've written a little macro which is similar to your approach. I can insert this before any output tool to automatically add fields for workflow title, workflow directory and creation date.

MikeLR_0-1619017628493.png

I have also written another macro that I can use after any Input Data tool to strip those extra fields out and display the details in a Browse Tool.

MikeLR_1-1619017878619.png

I've uploaded a sample workflow with the two macros to the public gallery (as I couldn't seem to attach it here directly).

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Workflow%2BInfo%2BMacros/6080431f0462d711acb2d4e4

I'd be grateful for any feedback you could provide as I'm still learning macros (and suspect I always will be.) There's always something to learn! 🙂

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes