Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add the ability to connect to data source using JDBC

Alteryx has the ability to connect to data sources using fat clients and ODBC but not JDBC.  If the ability to use JDBC could be added to the product it could remove the need to install fat clients.

32 Comments
DataRangler
8 - Asteroid

Yea.. Splice Machine odbc driver seems bit flaky would be nice to use JDBC

belinna
5 - Atom

Hello,

Will JDBC connector be added anytime soon?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @belinna,

This idea is in the status of Not Planned and no development work is being put into a JDBC connector at this time. While this could change in the future, dependent on the Alteryx road map and future updates, for the foreseeable future this connector will not be created by Alteryx.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

very very necessary!

NikBarter
8 - Asteroid

This is definitely needed

dphipps
6 - Meteoroid

I have someone asking me if we can connect using JDBC for Informix.   So I guess the answer is no and there is no plan to build this in so we need to use Python to connect instead?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi there @ARich  and @KylieF - can we please reconsider this request?
JDBC connections are becoming more and more common in the world of data analysis - so if we exclude JDBC then Alteryx will be very limited in the number of data sources that we can connect to.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

We are seeing this issue in particularly sharp relief on cloud databases; HDFS type platforms; Java-based databases etc.

In summary - having JDBC would further entrench Alteryx as a platform that is welcoming and capable of data anywhere!

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I am with @SeanAdams. I have had several instances where we have needed JDBC connections and moving more to cloud based data sources this is a must. 

Nick612Haylund
10 - Fireball
10 - Fireball

Making JDBC connections possible within Alteryx should definitely be re-looked at for the product.