Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add "Convert To Text Input" to the right click menu of a Browse tool

This is a QoL-request, and I love me some QoL-updates!

best idea for 2020.png

While I'm developing I often need the output of a workflow as input for the next phase of my development. For example: an API run returns job location, status, and authentication ids. I want to use these in a new workflow to start experimenting what'll work best. Because of the experimenting part, I always do this in a new workflow and not cache and continue in my main flow.

Writing a temporary output file always feels like unnescesary steps, and tbh I don't want to write a file for a step that'll be gone before it reaches production. Esp if there is sensitive information in it.

Thanks.

24 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Love it!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback!

Our UX and data input product teams great appreciate all the feedback on how to streamline user processes and make user experiences easier within the drop down and options. It would be greatly beneficial for our teams to understand how many users would appreciate this sort of update, so be sure to share this with any other users you'd believe would benefit!

(Also thank you for the cute little emojis and images, they both really help the product team and are just in general fun to have in ideas!)

Ruud
10 - Fireball

@KylieF , thanks, the master in communication science is really paying off! 😄

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be great. Right now I copy the data to the clipboard and then paste that on the canvas as a text input, but my metadata gets goofed up. It would be great to be able to go straight from browse to text input.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great idea!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Great idea!

phoebe_kelley
9 - Comet

This would be super helpful!

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I often use the copy results from a browse and then paste on a canvas which automatically creates a text input tool, for the development purposes you outline. Being able to do this within the workflow with less clicks would be a good option to have.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I just posted a question about this on the Designer discussions thread  but this probably would have been a better place! I often use the Output option and then just create a dummy file. I don't get why there isn't an option to take a static copy of Browse and convert it directly...

trettelap
8 - Asteroid

yep....this would be great for input into a find replace where you are trying to figure out similar groupings and spelling errors.