community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!

Add a Credentials/Environment Variables Manager

The "Manage Data Connections" tool is fantastic to save credentials alongside the connection without having to worry when you save the workflow that you've embedded a password. 

Imagine if - there were a similar utility to handle credentials/environment variables. 

• I could create an entry, give it a description, a username, and an encrypted password stored in my options, then refer to that for configurations/values throughout my workflows. 
    • Tableau credentials in the publish to tableau macro
    • Sharepoint Credentials in the sharepoint list connector
  • When my password changes I only have to change it in one place
  • If I handoff the workflow to another user I don't have to worry about scanning the xml to make sure I'm not passing them my password
  • When a user opens my workflow that doesn't have a corresponding entry in their credentials manager they would be prompted using my description to add it.
  • Entries could be exported and shared as well (with passwords scrubbed)

Example Entry Tableau:

AliasTableau Prod
DescriptionTableau Production Server
UserIDJPhillips
Password*********
+ 

Then when configuring a tool you could put in something like [Tableau Prod].[Password] and it would read in the value.

Or maybe for Sharepoint:

AliasTeamSP
DescriptionTeam sharepoint location
UserIDJPhillips
Password*********
URL http://sharepoint.com/myteam
+ 

Or perhaps for a team file location:

AliasTeamFiles
DescriptionRoot directory for team files
Path\\server.net\myteam\filesgohere
+ 

Any of these values could be referenced in tool configurations, formulas, macro inputs by specifying the Alias and field.

1-3-2019 12-43-52 PM.png

6 Comments
Alteryx Partner
Asteroid

As an Alteryx Artisan/Designer/user I want:

1. to be able to have a single location to store and change variables used across workflows
  2. to specify them in formulas and tool configurations
  3. selectively encrypt values (like passwords)
  4. export and share these variables with others
  5. have an independent set configured on the server for scheduled jobs
Asteroid
good find @simonaubert_bd!
Quasar
Quasar
I think that @SeanAdams would like this enhancement as well. Definitely need something like this when working with larger teams and SDLC processes.
Asteroid
Critically we'd want it to have a server side analog. So when a workflow was published to server the credentials file on the server would be used, allowing secure functional credentials to be stored safely.
Alteryx Partner

YES! YES!! YES!!! This would save me a lot of headache. We can add the salesforce connector to that as well.