Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Active Directory AD Data Connector Needed

It would be great if we could have a Windows Active Directory data connector tool added to the standard Alteryx toolset.

MS Excel Power Query and PowerBI both can connect to Active Directory for use as a data source, but are both very cumbersome to use.  Having a connector in Alteryx that can read AD data into a workflow would be super helpful for a long list of use cases.  A couple that are top of mind for me are:

-Leveraging group membership info for dynamic distribution of reports or datasets

-Being able to build reporting and dashboards about the organization (useful for Tech audit, HR, etc.) 

I've seen links to an old project on GitHub of someone that started development on this, but the method (just copy these random .dlls into your program directory) is seriously frowned upon by any enterpise IT.  Would be great if Alteryx could pick up that work, polish it a bit and add it to the actual Alteryx Designer toolset.

30 Comments
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @sanyajaleel

Have you tried to Unblock the DLLs and restart Alteryx? This should enable the tool for you.

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

Agreed.  Any update on getting this into a release?

tmschbgr1
5 - Atom

+1

ArtA
5 - Atom

Our company has a need to connect to our Active Directory information.  It holds our user reporting structures and is integral to be being able to secure historical transaction information.  Please raise this up in the engineering review and development process.  I do not mean to devalue the work of the 3rd party open source community, however using an open source solution for an enterprise is not good practice. 

DanHare
11 - Bolide

Nudge...currently have to use a 3rd party sync tool to do this.

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

Double nudge... 

MonBrazier
8 - Asteroid

Triple nudge...

egrepps
5 - Atom

Nudge.

Howdy, folks and @dataMack  I developed and then put together step-by-step instructions on "Using Alteryx to query Active Directory" last year whenever after I realized there were not any formal solutions. It can be found here:

https://community.alteryx.com/pvsmt99345/board/message?board.id=designer-discussions&message.id=9075...

I also created a few macros that do this via AD Web Services and the download tool. These work much better than the method in my write-up. One of these is even able to get AD Group information as well. I was hoping to create a similar write-up for those macros but never managed to find the time.

Is there a process for submitting these macros to Alteryx so that they could be "productionized"?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, feel free to reach out.

Thank you.

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

@Data_is_mymiddlename - Just curious if anyone ever reached out to you about the macro you created?  I'd be interested in seeing what you have if you don't mind sharing?  Does it also pull from Azure AD or only an on-prem AD install?