Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!

Action Tool should only show applicable option when updating Filter Tool

Never noticed this, because I always use the custom filter option, not the basic.  But I had a user come to me asking why his app wasn't updating his filter properly.

He configured the filter tool thusly (dummy data):

fitlertool1.jpg

And here is the what the action tool looks like when you connect it to the filter tool:

fitlertool3.jpg

So he simply highlighted the "Bob" line and picked to update "Bob".

However, since he used a basic filter, and not a custom one, this is how he should've configured the action tool:

fitlertool2.jpg

I realize that "well, it's spelled out for you - there's an expression section & a simple section in the action tool".  But for beginners or even non-beginners, it might not be obvious.

It would be nice if when you connect the action too, it only displayed the appropriate option (either custom or simple, but not both).

6 Comments

@mbarone Great idea. I've seen plenty of people tripped up on this and it seems unnecessary. It was hard to spot the first time I came across it.

Pulsar
Pulsar

Thanks Patrick!  Took me about 3 debug iterations to figure it out myself LOL!

Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thank you for suggesting this. This will be implemented in an upcoming release.

@JPoz 

giphy

Pulsar
Pulsar

Woo hoo, that's awesome @JPoz !  Thanks!

Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for this suggestion! In the 2019.4 release (https://downloads.alteryx.com) the highlighting will always be displayed as blue, even if the control doesn't have focus. We may make additional UI improvements to the Action tool in the future.