Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

zip with R using alteryx dynamic variable for filepath

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

Does anyone know how to use dynamic filepaths to zip a file?  In my workbook, I have an option to use Cmd (which I gave up on first), and another option using R (still hopeful about).  Currently, this will work with hardcoded filepaths, but won't read in the data coming to the R tool on #1 line when coded as such.

Gina2021_0-1621280507195.png

Thanks tons for any hints!

Gina

6 REPLIES 6
EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Gina2021

We may be able to use a Dynamic Input tool and/or Interface tools for this use case. Please contact support@alteryx.com and we will review it in further detail with you.

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Will do, thanks much!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

So here's a working R version - at least on my machine...  A few notes:

1) R was having all sorts of issues with trying to take the correctly formatted text in without trying to reformat it as string and went through a few different tries that didn't work so to get it to work I did the following:

1) took out the quotes.

2) took out the concatenating

3) read in via a dataframe

4) sent the dataframe into a for loop and took the filename out as strings to a list.

Correctly formatted it zipped. There were a few minor housekeeping changes it wanted to get the 7-zip and flags columns in.... You'll want to hardcode or pass in a variable to provide where you want the file to write to.

Hope this helps!

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Thank you thank you thank you so much for your knowledge and magic @apathetichell !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I added some doco to your R tool.

Gina2021_0-1621645632808.png

I'm working on my RegEx skills to make everything as dynamic as possible. I think I'll try to make a directory input work.  But, all of that is scope creep. You absolutely answered my question where I was completely and hopelessly stuck.

THANKS TOOONSS!!!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Great! And love the modifications!  I'll probably try to rework it as a batch macro to make it more universal (ie - allow different parameters for the zip function.)...

Alteryx R takes a bit of getting used to but it gets there in the end and can provide just awesome additions.

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell Well that sounds super cool.

I forgot to attach where I left off...

Thanks again for your awesome solve!!!!

Labels