Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

yyyymmdd to dd-month-yyyy conversion

keerthanak222
6 - Meteoroid

I have my source date data in the string format "20130101" i wanted to convert it to 01.Jan.2013 format when i use the formula DateTimeParse([_CurrentField_],"%d-%b-%Y") in Multi Field formula after changing data type to date it is showing me the below error

ConvError: Multi-Field Formula (17): DATETIMEPARSE: Error in DateTimeParse: Month number is out of range 1..12

How to achieve this conversion

10 REPLIES 10
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

@keerthanak222

try this . for formating the date, please use datetimeformat function :)

DateTimeFormat(LEFT(tostring([DateNumber]),4)+'-'+SUBSTRING(tostring([DateNumber]),4,2)+'-'+SUBSTRING(tostring([DateNumber]),4,2),'%d.%b.%Y') 

Note: you don't need ti use Multirow formula tool for this, if it is a single filed

Just use the single Formula tool :)

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

Attaching the sample workflow 

keerthanak222
6 - Meteoroid

Thank u so much for the help...Nice guidence for beginers like me.. tnx again

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

you welcome and welcome to the Great community 

also take a look at here for date time funtions 

http://help.alteryx.com/10.0/index.htm#Reference/DateTimeFunctions.htm

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would do it a very similar way (though might use DateTimeParse to read in) but wanted to also mention the DateTime tool. It allows string to date conversion and vice versa. Main problem is an annoyingly limited list of format (please fix in v11!!!).

keerthanak222
6 - Meteoroid

so is there  a way to get this in DATE data type.

currently using this function DateTimeFormat(LEFT(tostring([DateNumber]),4)+'-'+SUBSTRING(tostring([DateNumber]),4,2)+'-'+SUBSTRING(tostring([DateNumber]),6,2),'%d.%b.%Y')  im able to get it as string . 

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

If you want to read in the Date as a date just specify the type as date in the formula tool:

dateParse.jpg

and use something like:

DateTimeParse([Field1],'%Y-%m-%d')
hedouard
5 - Atom

I have a similar issue and have tried to convert a date column and getting errors.  The format would be as below

datetable.png

nick_schimweg
8 - Asteroid

Hi hedouard,

You weren't very descriptive with the issue you're having. Please look at the attached workflow and let me know if it helps and makes sense. I didn't address the column above labeled 'Convert to New date' because it seem to disagree with the other columns. Also, please create a new post next time as this one was already marked 'Solved' it makes for a confusing read.

-Nick

Labels