Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

yet another covid19 workflow

markp2011
5 - Atom

It would be interesting to see all the permutations but here's my entry.   I'm just getting back into alteryx after maybe 8 years working with pentaho (not bad but lacking features).  The challenge was the data source - https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19 - which was cumulative and the daily numbers are much more interesting.  After refreshing my alteryx knowledge I found Multi-row formula which replaced 3-4 steps.

Step 1 - get the data from github.

markp2011_0-1622679736547.png

Step 2 - combine all 5 files, columns to rows, sort and create daily counts

markp2011_1-1622679825872.png

I've done this now in Power Query, Pentaho and Alteryx.  For me, the latter is the most elegant with Power Query (m-code) a very close second place.

Now on to the fun part - visuals.  Maybe tableau this time.

3 REPLIES 3
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I like it. Interesting to see former Pentaho user migrating to Alteryx. These people usually have a strong background in IT and they think Alteryx is really limited to ETL processes.

markp2011
5 - Atom

Thanks - fun to be back here.  We were using the (free) community edition of pentaho which I totally understand from a business cost but I've had a better experience with commercial software (alteryx, ssis, etc).  Concentrating on features in alteryx I only touched on prior - macro, reporting/visualization and automation.

markp2011
5 - Atom

FYI - forgot about dynamic data fields in the transpose step.  Attachment updated.

Labels