Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

using REGEX to loop through a spreadsheet?

srea541
8 - Asteroid

I'm new to Alteryx and I'm trying to finish off a workflow which will replace misspelled words using a Excel sheet:

srea541_0-1581412251183.png

This table is joined to another table to look like this:

srea541_1-1581414681755.png

The formula I am currently using is:

REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_],[Wrong Spelling],[Right Spelling])

However, this formula only replaces all instances of the word 'cant' in row one, and does not run through all the rows. I'm not sure where to go from here. 

This is what I get:

srea541_2-1581415394114.png

'Im' needs to be replaced as well but is not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14 REPLIES 14
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @srea541,

Rather than using regex expressions to achieve this could you use a simple find and replace tool? I'll put together a sample workbook for you.

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Jonathan

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @srea541,

So as i said you could use a find and replace tool to look up misspelled words and replace with the correct spelling:

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

srea541
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jonathan,

I have a solution that uses find and replace:

srea541_1-1581417669756.png

The problem is I have to find and replace the words in each column individually, which works but is very time consuming. For the project I'm working on, I would need to do this 24 times to achieve what I need.

Stephen

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @srea541,

So in this case i would transpose your data before the find and replace tool, i'll mock up a sample.

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @srea541,

Please see the attached:

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

However @srea541 if you want to be 100% accurate i would go down the route of tokenising each word and then using the find and replace technique. This will stop any issues of finding a word in a word, for example "estimate" you would find "im" and become "estI'mate".

image.png

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

And finally using the field info and dynamic rename tools to ensure the column headers exactly the same as before the crosstab:

image.png

Regards,

Jonathan

srea541
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jonathan,

I think we're getting closer!

srea541_0-1581419786323.png

The issue is now on the last step, it is sticking all of them into one row:

srea541_1-1581419966439.png

Another thing I noticed was that the find and replace function removes the '.' from the end of the fields as well as any occurences in the middle of the string. These would need to stay in.

Stephen

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Stephen,

In that case how about this:

image.png

I'm not sure how you want the output structured? As you've said you don't want it all on one row?

Regards,

Jonathan

Labels