Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

twitter connector

Inactive User
Not applicable

I have a few problems relating to the output of the Alteryx Twitter Connector, hopefully someone more familiar with the workings of the connector can help explain why.

1. I'm getting what appears to be a copy of the TweetBody coming through into the TweetID column more often than an actual TweetID (see image) should this happen?

2.There is also multiple rows for the same TweetID

2.  When I attempt to parse the TweetBody column it causes the Alteryx JSON Parser to fail with "Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile:  Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended".  Without the JSON Parse tool the workflow will run through to completion.

3.  The description for the connector says that it only returns tweets from the last 7 days, however I'm seeing Tweet posted timestamps stretching back to 2009.

any assistance would be appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Thorsty1
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the heads up on this!  Appreciate it!

SonaliBabar
8 - Asteroid

Not able to find updated twitter search tool

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @SonaliBabar,

Due to the constant updates by Twitter, we are unable to keep the tool current and working. Due to this we no longer support the twitter tool and it has been removed from the Alteryx gallery.

There are some users who still have working twitter tools, one you can find from the link below.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Twitter-Search-Tool-no-longer-in-Galle...

Thanks,

TrevorS

Community Moderator
BPurcell2
9 - Comet

Dang, that was tough, but I was able to build a workflow to use the basic search API.  I've connected to a few API's, and the twitter one was by far the hardest.

I wiped out my keys, but you should be able to get your own from twitter.  I labelled them just as described on your Twitter dev page.  I also added a cleanse after not realizing white space at the end was throwing off the authentication request.

The workflow is very rough, but if you were, like me, looking for the Twitter search tool, this might be a temporary solution.  

Twitter Search API Doc

you'll need to update the 2nd text input to adjust your query and parameters.  

BPurcell2
9 - Comet

I took on the challenge of rebuilding the connector using the deprecated Twitter connector from the existing deprecated workflow.  It actually just needed updated parsing, it must have been created before the JSON parse tool was developed.  The logic on identifying zero records was throwing an error -- twitter must have changed the output.  I tried to keep the main fields -- there are a ton on the API output.

I've tested it several times and it seems to work with different scenario's -- large counts, low counts, geography, specific mentions, hashtags, etc.  The only thing that I don't think works is "Custom Search" on the 2nd tab on the app interface.

The problem now is I cannot upload it to the gallery.  I've never uploaded a workflow/app to the Alteryx public gallery, but I've done it several times to my company's internal site.  I get the finger cursor over the save button, but nothing happens when I click.  

BPurcell2
9 - Comet

I couldn't figure out how to upload this to the Alteryx public gallery, so I'm posting the packaged app in the zip file here.  Again, most of the app is the original Alteryx version, I just used JSON parsing and changed the max record logic on the iterative app.  I hope this helps anybody looking for this tool.  Thanks.

CalDowd98
8 - Asteroid

Hi Purcell,

Im really interested in untilizing this tool you have created! You have supplied the iterative macro at the end of the workflow, is it possible to get the macro at the begining also ?

thanks !

wfhjslaep
5 - Atom

This is brilliant BPurcell2. How would you connect your authentication macro to your Search tool? Search tool not working for me and I wonder if it's related to the authentication. 

Labels