Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.

trying to run Macros on Report/Render tool

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have previously posted my question to see if adding a filter (one like in excel) was possible to my output tool or in my case im using Basic Table/Render tool to generate my output. I was able to create my macros and ran it successfully with the output tool.

However, this doesn't seem to work the same when running with Render tool.

It looks like my filters are getting added to another file which I cannot seem to find but it displays for a quick moment when the macros run.

This is the file I cannot seem to find as it closes right away 

hal_dal_0-1581013523234.png

This is the .vbs file I found in the Alteryx community

hal_dal_0-1581012980301.png

the render tool

hal_dal_1-1581013053166.png

run as event

hal_dal_2-1581013100388.png

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar

This is an interesting idea!

Can you share the configuration of your Render Tool?

Or a workflow, then I can help you troubleshoot.

One thing to try is break it up into 2 parts, i.e. 2 workflows, for testing

1. Create the Excel file with a render tool. Check that the excel is created where you specify.

2. create a separate workflow, make it do something, run the after run event from this workflow on the known location of the file that exists.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi!

This is the configuration of my render tool

I have the "temp" file in a specific folder (which the file doesnt seem to get created (which is okay with me))

But I have it take the filename (with the specific path as its dynamic everytime) and create the file there

My excel file gets created as normal and everything working as expected, just the filter that doesn't seem to get applied there but is applied elsewhere (and I cant seem to find it)

hal_dal_0-1581518239141.png

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar

So my suggestion is to take the Render tool completely out of the equation. Build a new workflow that just runs the after run event with the VB script.

Once you get that bit to work, you can look at making it work with the workflow that generates the Excel file with a Render tool. 

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar

Was this the post you previously looked at?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Alteryx-Run-Command-Executing-Excel...

You could eliminate the use of the After run event, by using a bnlock until done tool ensure your Excel file is created first by the Render tool, and then execute the Run Batch command as in the example.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Thank you!

I was looking at another post but I believe they were referring to the one you posted here.

I will give this method a try and report back.

If not, I will look into following your previous post.

8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to how I would add block until done into report/render tool.

I' still quiet new and I have tried adding that along with the run command tool but not sure how to order them correctly.

If you could please give me some suggestions:

hal_dal_0-1581608771260.png

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar

Connect output 2 of the Block until done to the input of the Run Command.

In this case it doesn't actually use any of the data in the input stream, but that will trigger the vbs file to be executed.

Block until done will complete everything connected connected to the 1st output before coming back and executing the 2nd (and 3rd) branch.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have fixed it according to your suggestion and when the file (the correct one) opens up for the few seconds, i do see the filters getting applied.

However, as soon as I open my file once the workflow runs, the filters are not on there.

I'm not sure if it gets unfiltered somehow? or it's applying to another file somewhere again?

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar

Would you be able to send me your workflow with some sample data, the vb script and a sample excel output file?

Labels