Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

that txt file is SOOOOO big.......

CorCor
8 - Asteroid

I have a 7GB txt file.

Figured out how to import it, but........

cant properly split it into columns.

And here's the kicker......cause I cant open it - I don't know what the delimiter is.  All your typicals do not work.

I know it has about 70 columns.......cause I know what the headers are.....but......

Can't get it to split up properly.

Any clues?

Thanks

Corey

7 REPLIES 7
lmorrell
11 - Bolide

Hi Corey,

Just a stray thought, but would it be possible to use regex to identify the delimiter? If you have the header names and the order of the headers it could be possible to parse out the characters separating them with a regex replace. 

Snag_55107a5.png

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can bring it in with no delimiter to take a look at the format. Set up would be like below

Input_-_No_Delimiter.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @CorCor 

If neither of the excellent options listed by @KaneG, and @lmorrell work, can you post the first row as a .yxdb file? 

If they work, can you mark them as solutions to help other users?

Thanks

Dan   

CorCor
8 - Asteroid

Well....I did as @KaneG suggested.....and then attached the first 100 rows here.

I don't see any delimiters.  BUt then again - I am a newbie.

Now......interestingly enough......I know what the column headers should be.

I will now try to follow what @lmorrell suggested.

Thanks!

Corey

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

This file is the delimiters is <tab> use \ t in the Delimiters option

[]

CorCor
8 - Asteroid

@geraldo for the WIN!!!!!!!!

Bless you!

I am sure everyone else is rolling their eyes and saying, "of course" - but how did you know it was tabs??

Please educate a lowly freshman.

Thank

you!

Corey

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

Always use a text editor to open files that have the option of checking special characters: eg Notepad ++ and other types for gigantic archives like this one from gb7

this red arrow makes it <tab>

clipboard_image_0.png

Labels