Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

text to columns help

anselyuan
6 - Meteoroid

I have a text and columns problem as below

ID    Description    date

1      abc d            7/12 

efg                      

2      edskjc s        4/12

sdffe

Field: 14

3      afsc d            7/12 

efsg                      

4      edvfva s        4/12

safe

Field: 15

first of all, I want to split it in to column, there are 2 problems.

1. the description column contains space

2. the description is not in the same row

then, Iwant to add a column call field.

11 REPLIES 11
gc
9 - Comet

What does your data look like after you try to read it into Alteryx with an Input Tool? If I can see that, then I can probably help. Maybe a screen shot of a Browse after the Input?

anselyuan
6 - Meteoroid

Here is the example. Thanks so much!

gc
9 - Comet

OK great. Now, can you send an Excel file of what you want that data to look like after doing text-to-columns processing with Alteryx? With that, the workflow can take shape. thanks

gc
9 - Comet

I'm not sure how to deal with the "Field" rows until I see your desired output, but here's a workflow showing a possible way to deal with the other rows. It can be optimized, but I think it's easier to understand with 1 step per Formula tool.

anselyuan
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, sorry for delay... Is that possible to make it like result that I uploaded?

gc
9 - Comet

See if this updated version works. Good luck!

gc
9 - Comet

Forgot to attach the workflow :P

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

The attached is another route that is data driven, based on the logic that character code 160 (0xA0) is the deliminator, and the a : character denotes a field that should be pulled out and and placed with the first ID since the last field record.

text to columns jm.png

anselyuan
6 - Meteoroid

Could you help me in this case?
DELETE 264750-Creform Pi 30-SEP-2015 STPL 25.00 
DELETE 325452-SERVICE CE 01-JAN-2016 STPL 25.00 

I Just want to make the description like "283750-Creform Pi", "326752-SERVICE CE" a group, and put them in the same column...

Shall I use the same regular expression and replacement?

Labels